Windows Start Menu on High sierra / Parallels 13 / Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by FrancescoC1, Sep 26, 2017.

1. FrancescoC1

FrancescoC1 Bit poster

Hi all,
    I use Parallels 13 on High Sierra with a Windows 10 instance.
    Since I have High Sierra just installed, I'cant get any more the Windows 10 Start Menu by clicking on the relative icon on macOS taskbar.
    I can get it by pressing command key after the click on the taskbar icon or finding the relative item over the Windows instance menu (on top or by right click on the icon on macOS taskbar) but all of these are slower alternatives.

Any solution to restore the Windows Start Menu by clicking on the macOS taskbar icon?

Curiosity: the Start Menu now is localized on the upper right corner of my macOS desktop.

Thanks in advance.

2. BarrieC1

BarrieC1 Bit poster

I have the same problem with High Sierra and Parallels 13 running Windows 7. I tried looking for a fix on the forum and tech support documents without any success.

3. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Kindly be informed that this is a known issue with Windows 10 and happens on real Windows PC's as well. As a workaround (results not guaranteed), navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and locate the application 'ctfmon'. Next, press CMD+R in Windows to launch the Run window, type 'shell:startup' (without the quotes) in the text field, hit 'Enter' (which opens a new window), drag and drop the 'ctfmon' application from the other window into the new window, launch it (no application window will open and nothing will seem to happen because, after being launched, the application will simply run hidden in the background) and restart Windows. Thanks!

4. BarrieC1

BarrieC1 Bit poster

Hi Meenakshi@Parallels,
    The problem I'm having is with the Windows icon in the MacOS dock while in coherence mode. I used to be able to click this Windows icon and the start menu would appear. Now when I click the Windows icon in the MacOS dock, nothing happens.

5. RobertL11

RobertL11 Junior Member

Same issue here with Parallels 12 and XP after installing High Sierra.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. FrancescoC1

FrancescoC1 Bit poster

Thank you Meenakshi@Parallels, but the Start button in Windows works correctly.
    As said by BarrieC1, the problem is in Coherence mode: now nothing happens when I click on Windows icon in the macOS dock. Just before High Sierra I was able to get Windows Start Menu simply by clicking Windows icon in the macOS dock.

7. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I'll pile on the "Me Too" bandwagon.

I'm able to trigger the start menu by clicking it directly (when it's visible), all of the following also work:
    1. Clicking the coherence icon and pressing command (i.e. the equivalent to the windows key).
    2. Right clicking the coherence icon, selecting view & choosing "Windows Start Menu".
    3. Choosing "View" in the menu bar & choosing "Windows Start Menu".
    In short Start works fine in pretty much every possible case other than directly clicking the OS icon in my dock...

I did try uninstalling & re-installing parallels tools to see if it would have any effect, but it did not...

8. RobertL11

RobertL11 Junior Member

So you better understand the issue, please check Method 4 at the bottom of this blog: http://blog.parallels.com/2015/11/24/windows-start-menu-in-coherence-mode/ All other methods work correctly.

Same issue with Windows XP and 10. Same issue with Parallels Desktop 12 and 13.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  9. RobertL11

RobertL11 Junior Member

The Start Menu is displayed if the "Automatically hide and show the dock" option is disabled.

FrancescoC1 likes this.
  10. FrancescoC1

FrancescoC1 Bit poster

Thank you RobertL11, this works for me.
    Since I use to keep the option "Automatically hide and show the dock" activated (very important for me), I hope that Parallels will fix this issue soon.

11. DanM9

DanM9 Bit poster

Same issue here. I use the "Automatically hide and show the dock" and as long as this is enabled the start menu doesn't work when I click on the icon in the dock.

12. Blahman

Blahman Junior Member

Same issue here running Parallels 13 with Windows 7. Please fix!

13. GBanister

GBanister Bit poster

(see the WORK-AROUND below, until the issue is fixed)
    I'm on the latest versions of High Sierra / Parallels 13 / Windows 10 and I'm unable to type in the Windows Start search box ("Type here to search"), unable to type in Windows Settings search box ("Find a setting") and also unable to type in the following apps that come installed on Windows 10: OneNote, the Paint 3D app, the Weather app, the Movies and TV app, and the Calendar app. I haven't tried any of the other pre-installed Windows 10 apps. Notepad does allow me to type in it however. Perhaps these all use a related technology, like WPF or something.

I did figure out that if I run "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" with administrative privileges that the typing in the apps and search boxes mentioned above is restored.

BTW, I run ctfmon from the TaskManager's Run New Task dialog like so:

upload_2017-10-4_11-21-21.png

14. LeiB

LeiB Bit poster

My start menu work again after installing updating the parallels software

15. DanM9

DanM9 Bit poster

It looks like the latest parallels update 13.1.0 (43108) fixed the start menu issue

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @GBanister, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 (13.1.0-43108) and this update for Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac 13.1.0 (43108) addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

17. PaulChristopher@Parallels

You're welcome! @LeiB Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help! Thanks!

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Yes, that's great! @DanM9 You're welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help! Thanks!

19. FrancescoC1

FrancescoC1 Bit poster

My actual version of Parallels Business Edition (13.0.1) can't find any update... what to do?!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  20. FrancescoC1

FrancescoC1 Bit poster

I was able to manually download the new release: the start menu issue was fixed also for me.