Windows and Mac duplicate files

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kitmonster, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Kitmonster

Kitmonster Bit poster

Hi All,

I was changing some settings in the configuration menu to allocate more memory and I think I may have inadvertently clicked a setting.
    Now if I create file on the windows desktop, say a Word doc. It also appears on the Mac desktop. In other wors the two desktop are syncing and I dont want them to.

I have also noticed that over night O have lost 30Gb of hard drive space. I run a lot of cloud based files and I checked all the icon on the windows desktop and they all seem to point to the '\\Mac\Home\........ and the icloud, Google Drop box files. I had thought at first that once of the cloud based storage services was suddenly backing synchronizing on both the mac and windows side but apparently not.

Anyone any idea what clicked or what is going wrong?

2. Hello Kitmonster. Please shut down the virtual machine and open the virtual machine's configuration window. Select Options -> Sharing -> Configure and uncheck the folders that you do not wish to share between the Mac and Windows.
    Regarding the cloud-based files issues, please share few screenshots to help us understand the issue better.

3. Kitmonster

Kitmonster Bit poster

Hi,
    Sorry for being dumb on this one but I am assuming that I don't want to unshare everything. Looking at the optionsI will obviously keep the shared drives like icloud, dropbox and the like.
    I see what called 'Map Mac volumes to windows'. Would I be right in saying that this just makes the Mac HD drive show up in the windows 'my computer' folder?

The other option is 'Share Mac user folders with windows'. Currently its checked and is this the option that is causing the files on the desktops to be synced?

Regarding the cloud based file issues there is really nothing to share with you are far as I can see. I will do some more digging on this one to find some sort of anomaly I can share with you

4. Yes, you need to check 'Map Mac volumes to windows' and select All Disks in 'Share Folder' option so that you can view the Mac hard drive in the Windows File Explorer.

5. Select 'Configure' option below the 'Share Mac user folders with windows' and you can choose the folders that need to be synced between Mac and Windows. If you do not want to sync any folders, you can just uncheck the folder names.