Issues with external HDD's on Windows 10 guest

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoshuaG3, Jun 11, 2018.

1. JoshuaG3

JoshuaG3 Bit poster

Good day
    I have noticed that if I transfer a lot of data to or from an external HDD plugged in via USB then the system becomes unresponsive. In the one instance, a message pertaining to a "semaphore timeout" popped up, in other instances the VM just hangs. In either case I have to reboot my Mac host before Parallels responds again.
    The strange thing is that the external HDD works fine, this issue only presents itself if a lot of data is used.
    Any pointers will be appreciated.
    thanks

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JoshuaG3 , please let us know how much RAM you have on your mac and how much you have allocated to Windows virtual machine and how much free space you have on your mac.

3. JoshuaG3

JoshuaG3 Bit poster

Hi Arun

I have opened a support case with Parallels. They have captured technical information and are investigating the issue at present.

To answer your questions, my Mac has 16GB RAM of which 6GB is allocated to the Windows VM. I have around 130GB free space on my Mac.

Thank you.

4. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Yes, we see that your issue is already under investigation. Kindly wait for the response and follow the instructions provided by our support team.