Invalid Activation Key

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by steveox, Mar 15, 2017.

1. steveox

steveox Junior Member

I installed Parallels Desktop 9 and when the Activation window opened I clicked "Buy" which took me to the Parallels website, where I paid for a license. When I entered the key I got the message "This key is invalid". Apparently I purchased (without realizing it) a license for PD 12. Can I exchange this for a key to PD9 please?

2. Hi, please let us know which version of Parallels Desktop 12 you purchased: upgrade or full version?

3. steveox

steveox Junior Member

Parallels Desktop for Mac
    New License, Home & Student Use, 1-Time Purchase, $79.99

4. Thank you for your prompt reply.
    I've found this link for the Parallels Desktop 9 purchase and the price difference is too big.
    So, we can provide you with the refund for 12 version and then you will be able to purchase Parallels Desktop 9 from our official resellers. (Unfortunately we don't sell previous version of Parallels Desktop).
    So, please confirm the refund and we will be able to proceed.

5. steveox

steveox Junior Member

Well, this is a very interesting development. My reason for wanting to install PD9 has to do with my 9-year-old iMac that ONLY has 4GB of RAM. Based on what I've read, it seems prudent to not upgrade my OS beyond 10.8/9, so I reasoned that PD9 would be the optimal choice for my situation since it supports OSX 10.8/9, but would presumably be more "compact" than the current PD12 that must also support OSX 10.10/11/12. Also, the compatibility chart I found elsewhere on your site indicates that PD12 doesn't support OSX 10.8 anyway (maybe, maybe not?).

Frankly, I'd rather give my money to you than to Amazon, so I'd be willing to entertain the possibility that PD12 (if it would even run on OSX 10.8) might not actually be any more "demanding" than PD9. Since you've been so VERY accommodating in this matter so far, I'll trust you to give me the "straight poop".

6. steveox

steveox Junior Member

I found a post in the Forums indicating that I could purchase previous versions of Parallels Desktop from "authorized online resellers like Apple, Amazon etc."

Is there another page that expands on the "etc" part?

7. This is correct info, unfortunately we didn't sell the 9, 10 or 11 versions from Parallels official website and you can purchase it from official resellers.

8. steveox

steveox Junior Member

Right. What I'm asking for is a more complete list of resellers than what I found in this one post. "etc" implies there is more information. Who are the OTHER resellers not listed?

9. steveox

steveox Junior Member

Meanwhile, my Paypal account hasn't yet been credited.

Could you please refund the amount for the March 15 purchase of PD12?

Thank you.

10. We would like to inform you that we provided you with the refund for your purchase order.
    Refunds take between 5-7 business days to appear on your account.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    Thanks you for your time and cooperation.

11. steveox

steveox Junior Member

Thank you. You have been very accommodating in light of my blunder and I appreciate it. Thanks again.

In closing, I'd like to offer some opinions from a consumer (IMHO, as they say).

1) For those of us who believe we have legitimate reasons for running older versions of your software, it would be nice if there were a more convenient way to obtain a license. I'm sure that you want to distance yourselves from any possible implication of support for older versions, and I imagine there may also be a relevant clause in the agreement you have with your "authorized resellers", but would it really be so bad to occasionally allow former customers to buy a license for a previous version?

2) If you nevertheless decide that there is no room for negotiation on point #1, then you should at least provide a COMPLETE list of "authorized resellers". Your response has otherwise been "Amazon and some others", which not only gives Amazon more visibility and influence than they need (or deserve, by some opinions), but also dismisses and unfairly handicaps all your other resellers. At least level the playing field for your "second-tier" resellers by making such a complete list available, and refer customers to it when they find themselves in a position similar to mine and need to purchase a previous version of your software.

12. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

Thanks for sharing your feedback, @steveox