How to get tools for Windows 98 SE

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NhjostA, Jan 17, 2018.

1. NhjostA

NhjostA Bit poster

I was able to successfully install and boot up a copy of Windows 98 SE in Parallels Desktop 10. Despite finding a few resources online, I cannot access files on my mac via the guest (or vice versa), connect to the internet, or utilize audio. There is no option to install Parallels tools and I've attempted to do it manually via ISOs I've found online but was not successful. I believe I've checked the appropriate settings as far as file sharing and the like (I have copies of XP and 8 which all run fine). I'm mostly interested in the audio so that I can run an old program. Error message I get is ([Pogram] cannot access your sound device. Please consult the documentation which came with your sound device.) Any insights into how I can at least handle the audio issue so I can run the program would be much appreciated. Some have suggested downloading an audio driver, but I cannot test if it works because there is no way for me to access internet to download to the guest and no way to access host file system within the guest.

2. syedak

syedak Bit poster

Its very easy to access it on all other windows version by just going to Contol panel->Administrative tools,but couldnt find anything in Win 98. In the TOOLS folder on the W98SE CD, you'll find Admin, Mtsutil, net tools,oldmsdos, oldwin95, sysrec, rip, reskit. These are extras to install and not necessarily included in Control Panel-Windows Setup.
    To inventory running processes, download Process Explorer, or use WinTop.exe from W95 Power Tools.

3. NhjostA

NhjostA Bit poster

Not all of those are present in the disk and nothing that was included actually solved my sound/internet/file sharing issues. Any other suggestions?