There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Adde, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Adde

Adde Bit poster

Hi! I'm trying to install Windows 11 ARM on my Mac M2 pro and according to the guide it seems pretty straightforward..
    What happens is that after it downloads the image it goes directly to the bios with an error message "There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine". I've tried to reinstall and also tried to do same installation on another apple silicon machine but same thing occurs.

This is happening on latest Parallells v19 and latest OSX Sonoma. Since this is happening on two different MACs I just can´t seem to find where the culprit is..

Any ideas?

BradwinW likes this.
  2. Adde

Adde Bit poster

And this is the error message that I´m getting:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      314.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Nischay Gaya

Nischay Gaya Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:

1. Reproduce the issue.

2. Collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon on top of the mac menu bar > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9- ID in a reply to this message.

Thanks!

4. Adde

Adde Bit poster

Hi!

I do have an "old" Technical report already created since I chatted with your support on X platform:

Can you see that one?

5. Adde

Adde Bit poster

Have you had any chance to review the technical report?
    Do note that the technical report is from an end-user that has a license paid and all. I´m helping her out with her issue..

6. ramans1

ramans1 Bit poster

Check your Macos setting to provide the necessary permission to access the parallels.

7. BradwinW

BradwinW

Got the same error and stumbled on your article - did you end up getting it working? and if so, how ?

8. LeRoi

LeRoi Member

Go to uupdump.net, create an ISO on a machine that has Windows installed. Take the resulting ISO file, copy to a USB drive, a portable hard drive, whatever. Bring up Parallels, select install from ISO and as the ISO happens to have the Windows operating system installed, you will get a nice Parallels VM with Windows. If you are trying to use the Windows VHDX file, it will never work (in my experience).

9. Adde

Adde Bit poster

Not really. I´ve eventually found underlying problem. In our case, it looks like it might be something with JAMF on these laptops making the image being corrupt. With that said, there is an on-going investigation from the parent company that is using JAMF as device management. I´m waiting for a response still.

I did try the installation on two other machines that weren´t deployed by JAMF and they did work..

10. Adde

Adde Bit poster

The issue here being is that we need an ARM-image since it´s Apple silicon chipset for this matter and I can´t seem to find that many of these. I believe there was a beta or something similar available but that one didn´t work. Atleast not for me.

11. LeRoi

LeRoi Member

You can create an ISO for either Intel or ARM and in all versions (release, beta, dev, canary). The ISO is created automatically but it must be done on a machine currently running Windows. If you're a total MAC shop, you won't be able to create a working ISO unless you have a Windows VM already installed and working. I beta test all versions of Windows releases on a Mac Studio Ultra and use uupdump ISO's for installs. There are no Intel machines in the environment but there are necessary programs that are Windows only that must be run and we are now an exclusively ARM organization.