[FIXED in 19.2.0] Virtual Machine Unusable after upgrade to Sonoma

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StephenD5, Sep 28, 2023.

1. StephenD5

StephenD5 Bit poster

Hi,

I've just upgraded from Ventura to Sonoma and suddenly my Windows 11 VM is unusable. Clicking on any element of the screen results in the whole machine freezing for several seconds before anything happens like the CPU is racing. This happens every time you click on anything, programs take an age to launch and you have no hope of typing in them.

I've tried changing hypervisors, altering memory allocation, CPUs, reinstalling Parallels Tools. Nothing seems to help and I don't know what to do.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello!
    The issue has been fixed in Parallels Desktop 19.2.0.

3. TylerP3

TylerP3 Bit poster

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issue on my MacBook Pro 14 M1 Max on Windows 11.

Any solutions?

4. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon on top of the mac menu bar > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9- ID in a reply to this message.
    Thanks!

5. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon on top of the mac menu bar > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9- ID in a reply to this message.
    Thanks!

6. TylerP3

TylerP3 Bit poster

Report Id: 437099325

7. DiegoC9

DiegoC9 Bit poster

Tengo un problema similar. Uso Parallels 17. El Id del informe es 437109345 se ha enviado ya varios informes al respecto

8. DiegoC9

DiegoC9 Bit poster

Nuevo informe ID: 437109471

9. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hola,
    Lamentablemente, tenga en cuenta que Parallels Desktop 17 no es compatible con el host macOS Sonoma, tal y como se indica en este artículo.
    Por este motivo, le recomendamos actualizar a Parallels Desktop 19 usando este enlace: https://www.parallels.com/desktop-upgrade/
    Muchas gracias.

10. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello @TylerP3 ,
    As a possible solution, kindly follow the below steps:
    1. Disconnect both external displays from your MacBook Pro.
    2. Restart your MacBook.
    3. Start the Windows 11 virtual machine, reinstall Parallels Tools: in the top menu click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools, wait for the installation to finish, restart the virtual machine.
    4. Verify if the issue is still present?
    If the issue persists,kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

11. TylerP3

TylerP3 Bit poster

Thank you for your suggestions. The issue is still happening and here's a new Report ID: 437156868
    I did noticed that this is only an issue when using external monitors and the Windows Environment is taking up both external monitors (maximized).

12. DavidG11

DavidG11 Bit poster

Same thing happened to me with Windows 10 virtual machine. HELP!!

13. dkomaran

dkomaran Bit poster

After upgrading to Sonoma I installed a fresh Windows 11 Pro VM. It sets it up and is stable for a number of hours. Windows then complains of a disk corruption and says to restart. Once it restarts it attempts a disk repair and it fails to fix the issue and gives a screen saying automatic repair - your pc dis not start correctly.

is my number for sending the technical data

14. dkomaran

dkomaran Bit poster

I rolled back to a earlier snapshot and manually ran a disk check and it found error. When I attempted to show the details, the event viewer snap in for mmc.exe crashed.

Technical Data ID is 437263858

15. StephenD5

StephenD5 Bit poster

16. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    We want to investigate the issue in detail, but it seems each and every case is kind of unique, so kindly open a support ticket at https://parallels.com/support, so we could assist you better.

17. JavierF2

JavierF2 Bit poster

It's the same problem as @dkomaran for me in my MacBook Air M1. Trying a fresh installation of a Windows 11 VM after upgrading macOS to Sonoma (Parallels Desktop 19) results in a crash, no matter what I do. Report ID: 438394956

18. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi @dkomaran , @JavierF2 ,
    We've already submitted your issue to our Development team for further investigation. Thanks a lot for bringing it up!
    As a possible workaround, try to shut down your virtual machine (Actions > Shut down or if it doesn't work (for Javier) Actions > Stop) and move the .pvm file of the virtual machine to the internal drive (currently your virtual machines are residing on the external drives).
    If it returns no positive effect, try installing Parallels Desktop 18 and check if it works there (I suppose it should work for you). You can take the installer from our Downloads page: https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/download/.

19. Mikhail Ushakov

20. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi @TylerP3 ,
    We've opened a ticket for you directly in the Second Line Support team. The email was sent a few days ago, please check your inbox and provide additional data required for the investigation.

21. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

I'm having a similar issue. This screenshot explains it all....

Attached Files: