Elder Scrolls IV and Fallout New Vegas

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MaximilianR2, Apr 10, 2024.

1. MaximilianR2

MaximilianR2 Bit poster

It would appear that on older Bethesda games the Parallels Display Adapter (the VM's integrated graphics) fails to function properly on Parallels 17. It causes the error 'Failed to Initialize Renderer'. I am unaware if this is an error caused by recent updates or changes not stated to the VM. Although, it should be noted that this error did not occur until recently and that neither of these games have been updated for multiple years (meaning no change has occurred on the game's front). If I had to have a guess as to the solution, it could probably be fixed via an unofficial patch meant for Fallout 3 (which runs on the same engine as both games) or through changes to the VM's settings. If anyone sees this and has a solution, please do comment here. If no one does, I will make sure to respond to this initial message stating whether or not my efforts to fix the games work.

2. MaximilianR2

MaximilianR2 Bit poster

Upon investigation, multiple changes to the settings of the VM and the utilization of the Fallout 3 patch's changes to the game's INI did not resolve the problem. The patch allowed the game to launch before the error appeared, but the error was not fully resolved as it just appears later in the loading process (a window opens, but neither game starts). Thus, I believe that this was caused by some form of change implemented to the Parallels Display Adapter. I guess the only way for this to be fixed is wait and hope or try to find a way to regress your VM's update prior to significant changes to the display adapter. I will attempt the latter relatively soon, but will probably get a snack or go to sleep first.

3. MaximilianR2

MaximilianR2 Bit poster

Further searching has found that alternative methods for running these games, such as payed-for bottling services (Crossover) or the Game Porting Toolkit (Apple) have resulted in the same error. I will first attempt to resolve the error in those (since I am more knowledgable about how they function) before resolving the issue in Parallels VM.

4. MaximilianR2

MaximilianR2 Bit poster

A possible solution as been found. Changing emulation settings failed to work, but shifting the compatibility mode or the OS (depending on the app) to Windows 8 or 7 succeeded in getting things running (will test gameplay shortly).

5. MaximilianR2

MaximilianR2 Bit poster

6. WilliamC41

WilliamC41

Hello, also facing the same issue (for New Vegas). Have tried changing compatibility mode to Win 7 / 8 but the program doesn't start up (using right click -> compatibility -> run this program using Win 8) + the settings linked above for ARM. Am I missing something? Running a 2021 M1 Max.

7. MaximilianR2

MaximilianR2 Bit poster

Make sure to also right click on the New Vegas exe (the launcher doesn't change anything since it already runs), select compatibility, then select the "emulation settings" button and tick on the options on the bottom (and there should be one extra one on the top). Sorry for the poor instructions, but hopefully this helps.