Windows 10 Upgrade from Home to Education Version is detected as Home within Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SebastianS3, May 2, 2017.

1. SebastianS3

SebastianS3 Bit poster

Hello,
    I am using my Windows 10 Bootcamp installation in Parallels. I reinstalled Windows 10 with a Windows 10 Home iso image(no other available) and then upgraded to the Education Version. After that I successfully activated Windows 10 and I imported/used the Bootcamp installation in Parallels Desktop. When I normally boot into Windows 10 instead of macOS Windows behaves like Windows 10 Education. When I boot the same installation in Parallels Desktop it behaves like Windows 10 Home. The annoying thing is that I cannot activate it again(Error Code 0x87e10Bc6) although Windows wants me to. When I natively boot Windows again the activation is valid again. Someone has an idea how to fix that problem?

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Sebastian. Please take a screenshot of where the edition is shown to be 'Home' for Windows under Parallels and reply with the same.

3. SebastianS3

SebastianS3 Bit poster

Hello, I made some screenshots:
    • Windows booted in Boot Camp winver
    • bootcamp_winver.PNG
    • Windows booted in Boot Camp activation screen
    • bootcamp_activation_screen.PNG
    • Windows booted in Parallels Desktop winver
    • parallels_winver.PNG
    • Windows booted in Parallels Desktop activation screen
    • parallels_activation_screen.PNG
    It's of a German Windows installation but for understanding my problem that should enough.
    I hope that helps you. If you need more information fell free to ask.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

We appreciate the information provided. I have a question however...
    Was this step done right after you finished installing Windows 10 Home in the native boot camp or only after upgrading Windows 10 Home in the native boot camp to Windows 10 Education?

5. SebastianS3

SebastianS3 Bit poster

I imported the Bootcamp installation first into Parallels Desktop and then I upgraded.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @SebastianS3, please check out this article to activate your Windows through Phone activation method.

7. GordonW4

GordonW4 Bit poster

Hello.
    I also have such an operating system Windows 10 Education, specifically designed for educational institutions.
    I installed it because I was aware of its extensive user administration capabilities.
    As for me, I'm a student, all its additional functions are good.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hello GordonW4. That's good to know. If you need any assistance in specific, feel free to reach out.