Windows 10 taskbar apps open randomly

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WayneL1, Apr 10, 2017.

1. WayneL1

WayneL1 Bit poster

I am running Parallels Desktop for Mac 12.2.0 on Mac OSX Sierra with Windows 10 installed.

Since upgrading to Sierra and/or Parallels 12 at the same time I have experienced an issue where apps on the Windows taskbar will open when my cursor moves over them. This happens without clicking on anything and will often result in multiple copies of the same app opening or multiple apps opening, depending on how long my cursor hovered there and how many app icons it moved over.

This usually happens when I am using Autocad 18 (also previously with Autocad 16 & 17), but I think it has happened once while doing something else.
    It seems to happen quite randomly and I can't replicate it if I try.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try to reinstall Parallels tools (Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools) and let us know if that helps.

3. WayneL1

WayneL1 Bit poster

I have reinstalled Parallels Tools today and the problem is still occurring. It even seems to be happening more often.

It still doesn't happen all of the time (maybe it doesn't happen for a period of time after restarting Windows).
    I have found that the taskbar apps open if my cursor hits the bottom of the screen / bottom of the taskbar. It doesn't happen if the cursor moves over the middle of the buttons.

I generally use Parallels in full screen mode but I have tested it in windowed mode with the same result.

4. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

@WayneL1 Hi. Try creating a new user-account in Windows 10 and check if the issue re-occurs there.

5. WayneL1

WayneL1 Bit poster

I have created a new Windows 10 user account as suggested but i am still having the same issue with taskbar apps opening.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @WayneL1, you may try the following steps to fix the issue:
    1. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32
    2. Locate ctfmon (Application)
    3. Right-click > Send to > Desktop (Create shortcut)
    4. Open run > type ' shell:startup ' (without quotes)
    5. Drag & drop the ctfmon shortcut placed in the Desktop to the Startup folder.
    6. Restart Windows & observe if the issue re-appears.

7. WayneL1

WayneL1 Bit poster

I have done as suggested above but there is still no change.

8. LeandroB

LeandroB Bit poster

I got the same problem as well. It often occurs when windows is processing something or open a heavy app as Autocad 18 or Visual Studio 2017

9. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please follow the steps in this article till Step 9 to run your Windows in an empty virtual machine and check for the issue in the same.
    Have you attempted all the steps suggested in this forum so far?

10. KrP

KrP Member

Here is how we fixed it on a laptop we let an intern setup.
    in the configuration settings start off with "Configure for Design Cad....."
    by default we always optimize for "faster Virtual Machine" And "Better Performance" even on the laptops,
    Fully share the mac and windoze folders and all disks
    Do not let windoze have control of display gamma.
    auto fit the scale on the screen,
    Graphics memory is maxed to 2gb and 3d acceleration is DirectX10,
    do not configure parallel to be optimized for games.
    Generally I set the machines up with just a little over the recommended memory setting and just suffer through the parallels warnings for awhile then turn the warnings off.
    I am not sure which setting cured the problem (I am guessing it was the "optimize for Games" option not playing nicely with Autodesk software that was causing the problems.

on another note we try to keep windoze in a box and not use the coherence modes. revit and sometimes ACAD does not like the coherence modes
    I have a cheat sheet with all the settings that I have been using that seem to work for us to keep Revit running since Parallels 3 if needed.

hope this helps.

11. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @KrP, thank you for sharing this info. @WayneL1 and @LeandroB, have those steps been helpful?

12. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @maqboola , thank you for sharing this with us. We appreciate your time and participation.

13. Tom Langridge

Tom Langridge Bit poster

Hello Parallels!

I have the same thing happening under Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.1) with Parallels 13.1.1 (43120) and Windows 10 ProN (1709).
    The icons in the quick start change their behavior once I have been working with AutoCAD 2017. A simple mouse-over is enough to start a cascade of new windows opening. This affects all software that is placed in the quick start bar right of the windows-10 icon.

- Rebooting the VM does not help.
    - Fully restarting Parallels does help.

Turning off the gaming detection for mouse and keyboard seems to help to some extent.
    It is very unsatisfying that this bug seems to persist since parallels 12 and never got properly investigated as it seems. What is the fix for this?

Thank you,
    Tom

14. JanS9

JanS9 Bit poster

Hi All,

I have the same problem with W10 on P'12, and you know what help? I deleted all icons from the bar, I have no idea if it's coincident or not , but for me this solve problem, for now at least...

THanks
    Jan

15. JanS9

JanS9 Bit poster

Well, I was happy shortly.. to be honest it's getting me crazy, does anyone know what to do? we paid for app or not, where is support !!!

16. RandyF3

RandyF3 Bit poster

Same issue here. *Multiple* copies of any shortcuts pinned to the task bar launch simply when the mouse is moved over them. I only have a few shortcuts pinned - Autocad, Chrome, and a couple others. I had thought that Autocad was the worst offender - but I believe it's just it's short cut position within the taskbar makes it more probable for the mouse to move over it (it's the farthest left shortcut - hence closer to the search/start button).

Running Parallels 13.2.0 (43213), High Sierra 10.13.2, and Windows 10 patched up to current.

Here's a good test: open the VM in Fusion - does the problem still occur? Nope.

8 months of this issue being reported by multiple people - and no action (beyond what are nearly "did you try unplugging it and plugging it in again" suggestions).

Disabling the gaming detection *seems* to help (why this is defaulted to 'on' after the upgrade is bizarre. If the target audience for Parallels is gamers, then I need to rapidly *not* be your customer).

The 'finger in the dyke' solution is to remove all shortcuts from your taskbar, and even enable 'auto-hide' (if you can't get your mouse to the shortcut, it can't launch a million copies of itself).

17. nemod

nemod Bit poster

Hello all. I am having the same issue here - running AutoCAD 18 and Parallels. Has this been resolved at all...?

18. RandyF3

RandyF3 Bit poster

@nemod - not to my knowledge, but I've not re-tested recently. The workaround of just not having *any* shortcuts in the taskbar has been just fine for me. I simply keep the same shortcuts at the top of the 'start' menu (or even just on the bottom of the desktop just above where they would have been in the taskbar).

BTW, this behaviour happened only while the mouse moved over an executable shortcut (present whether the app is running or not) - not a 'running app' icon in the taskbar (i.e. the icon present in the taskbar only when an app is running).

Randy

19. All those people have problem when windows get mad and open 100s of autocad in few moment and freezes whole memory of machine, and we still have on solution. what a disappointment with support....

20. JoelB6

JoelB6 Bit poster

@Arun@Parallels , @Hemnath@Parallels, @PaulChris@Parallels, this needs to get resolved. There's 10 people here with the same issue.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 2.03.07 PM.png
    [​IMG]
    What is that junk? You're just waisting everyones time. Please provide a software patch. @KrP's solution doesn't work for everybody. So, you need to take action and provide your community with an official solution!