Windows 10 - suggestion for antivirus software?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MasanoriA, Dec 31, 2015.

1. MasanoriA

MasanoriA Bit poster

Hello everyone,
    I've recently installed a copy of Parallels 11 along with windows 10 pro.
    I won't be using it to browse the net etc. but is there a potential of virus contamination from my mac OS X to the VM Windows?
    I run ClamXav on my mac OS X, obviously this will not cover the VM windows, so does anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not get a anti-virus software with a subscription as I am hardly on it.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Cheers.
    M.

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello,
    There are less possibilities of your virtual machine getting affected by virus if you are not browsing internet on your virtual machine, but that does not mean you are completely protected. The recommended anti-virus sftware for your Windows virtual machine is Kaspersky

3. NicholasD2

NicholasD2 Bit poster

Hello Sylvester, which of Kaspersky's products is recommended for Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac? I use Windows 7 and have to use MS Explorer for browsing so I need antivirus for my virtual machine.

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Nicholas, the recommended product for Parallels Desktop 11 is Kaspersky Internet Security. To activate Kaspersky on your Windows operating system, please purchase Kaspersky Internet Security for Windows license.

5. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Obviously Parallels support is going to recommend AV software from the vendor with whom they have a business relationship. Kaspersky is good, but you can use any Windows AV software in your VM, including free versions. I personally use Panda Free AntiVirus, but others such as AVG, Avast, and Avira also get excellent reviews. Feel free to check out comparison review articles yourself and try them out.
    Examples:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-5.html

6. yange

yange Bit poster

A paid antivirus software does have a number of advantages over its free counterpart, and this is its far more comprehensive cover and protection. First of all, paid versions are easier to install, do not have advertisements attached to them, update simultaneously, automatically using the latest virus information and offer additional features such as parental controls. Paid virus protection systems often include useful extras such as backup and recovery tools, useful if your PC crashes, and performance enhancement utilities that ensure that your laptop or PC are running at their most efficient. There is also the advantage of high quality customer support and technical back-up, often lacking in free software versions.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. LuizO

LuizO Bit poster

But a VM hangs a lot with antivirus. it's impossible to use