Windows 10 may not boot after installing Сreators Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Danil@Parallels, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

rlsxr, we've warned everyone that the VM may not boot, but not necessarily will not. The problem is that when Windows boots it selects one of the standard supported video modes. After we initialize our video driver, Windows keeps refreshing image using its own frame buffer, and then copies it to ours. The function responsible for copying (dxgkrnl!PresentCddShadowBuffer) has several branches, where one is being selected according to both original and resulting frame buffer. There are changes in Windows 10 Creators Update in the logic responsible for copying an image from 24 to 32 bit buffer, which may results in system crash (BSoD) depending on the VM image size and view mode. I can give you more technical details about it, but I think it's not practically useful.

What you say about nested virtualization indeed sounds concerning. Can you please send us technical data reports so we try to reproduce it with the same hardware and settings? Please send us two reports at the time of issue reproduction: one with disabled nested virtualization and one with enabled option. I personally will be very grateful to you!

JK_1, you've also mentioned that the same workaround helped you. Can you please also send us reports?

Please share the report IDs with me here.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Phil4, I will create a ticket for you in Support, they will contact you to investigate this.

3. Many thanks for the help - all sorted - suggest the solution sent me is posted for anyone else having this problem

4. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

You're welcome! @Phil4 . Reach out to us for further assistance with Parallels!

5. CKathens

CKathens Bit poster

So what was the solution suggested to Phil4?

6. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

@CKathens Enabling 'Nested virtualization' through virtual machine configuration was the workaround provided to said user. You may do that by navigating to Configure > Hardware > CPU & Memory > Extend Advanced settings > Check 'Nested virtualization'

7. CKathens

CKathens Bit poster

@CKathens Enabling 'Nested virtualization' through virtual machine configuration was the workaround provided to said user. You may do that by navigating to Configure > Hardware > CPU & Memory > Extend Advanced settings > Check 'Nested virtualization'

But surely this means having a virtual machine within a virtual machine, which is bound to affect performance. Given that Phil4 has latest version of Parallels (12.2), this is not an elegant solution and suggests that 12.2 is not yet fully ready Creators Update.

8. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member

How does one generate technical data reports ? In one case the VM runs fine ...

9. Dmitry@Parallels

Click Help menu (when VM is activated) > Send Technical Data...
    More detailed info you can find here: http://kb.parallels.com/9058

10. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member

172041242 : Report ID for the VM working fine with nested vitualization enabled (installed from ISO)
    172042982 : Report ID for same VM nested vitualization disabled : As soon as Windows starts, VM displays "Stopping ..." When nested vitualization re-enabled, the VM works normally.

11. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you! I have clarified the situation.
    Since Windows 7 we use paravirtualization technology to improve virtual machine's video and overall performance, suspend & snapshot operations stability. Changes brought in Windows 10 Creators Update broke support for this technology. When you enable nested virtualization, we have to trick Windows manifesting that paravirtualization is disabled (Windows allows to run Hyper-V in physical environment only). Side effect of this trick is performance and stability degradation.

12. Brad2

Brad2 Bit poster

Hi guys I have been having the BSOD issue since updating to 12.2 getting a 'kmode exception not handled' BSOD on boot. I downgraded to 12.1.3 and used an older snapshot and got everything working again then windows 10 did an update (not creators) and I am now getting the same issue on 12.1.3 and 12.2.

Can boot in Safe Mode no problems but can not get the VM to boot Win10 normally without getting in a BSOD loop.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  13. sgniwder

sgniwder Member

I upgraded my system to Windows 10 Creators prior to installing the new upgrade. I installed the new upgrade and I have had a consistent issue in that it will not boot after shutting it down. The screen stays black and the VM provides an error that it cannot boot into coherence mode. I then need to shut it down using Actions -> Shut Down. Once this occurs, I am able to boot into Windows 10. I have tried both checking and unchecking nested virtualization and it provides the same results.
    If I reboot my computer within Windows 10 all works as designed, it is just if I shut it down and then try to start it where I receive this issue/error. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I submitted a problem report 173652574 for this issue.

14. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @sgniwder, I have created a support ticket for you. We need to look at this situation closely.

15. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member

Running Parallel v10. With a Windows 10 Creators Update running perfectly.
    Using: Configure > Hardware > CPU & Memory > Extend Advanced settings > Check 'Nested virtualization'
    Yet I keep getting warnings from Parallels (see screenshot). Not very fair or honest towards your users!

Attached Files:

16. JimF1

JimF1 Bit poster

Having major problems with loading Bootcamp VM after installing Win 10 Creators Update.
    I followed the recommendation on this thread and updated Parallels 11 to version 11.2.3 (32663) prior to updating Win 10. The Bootcamp VM now does not recognise the Bootcamp partition.
    I've deleted the VM, re-installed Parallels 11.2.3 but Parallels does not give the options for Bootcamp.
    I have followed the recommendations on http://kb.parallels.com/112941 to manually locate the Bootcamp partition. The following partition appears under the drop down in Configure > Hardware > Hard Disk 1 > Source: (see ScreenShot1)
    ScreenShot1.jpg
    When I attempt to use this partition I get the error message - "Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk" (see ScreenShot2).
    ScreenShot2.jpg
    Note disc utility recognises the partition and I'm still able to do a stand alone boot into Windows 10, just not via Parallels.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

17. lorein

lorein Member

Well, try to install the Windows Creators Updates through Media Creation Tool. This will take bit more effort but is proved more reliable than Windows Update.
    1. Download Media Creation Tool.
    2. And then backup data from system partition > save your license key.
    3. Now start the tool > select to Upgrade this PC now.
    4. Next, accept the license terms.
    5. After the installer is ready> select to Keep personal files and apps.
    6. Your system will reboot few times.
    hope this will help you to fix the issue.

18. JimF1

JimF1 Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried using the Media Creation Tool but the problem persists. I had to do a complete remove and clean install of the Windows 10 boot camp partition to get it running. Very painful but at least it's back to a working dual boot arrangement with both Parallels and boot camp.

However, the Windows 10 installation is the Anniversary Update version. Win 10 has yet to perform the Creators Update and I'm researching how to block it until I'm sure the problem is fixed.

19. lorein

lorein Member

Well, that's great to know the problem is fixed.

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Glad to hear that! Feel free to reach us anytime for support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.