Windows 10 hang on reboot/shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PeteD2, Sep 27, 2016.

1. PeteD2

PeteD2 Bit poster

I'm on the latest Parallels 12 on Mac OS Sierra, running a Windows 10 VM. When rebooting or shutting down the VM, I consistently get stuck at the blue "Restarting" screen (with the rotating dots.) I've let it stay there for 5 minutes or so, then resort to doing a hard reset.

Has anyone else experienced this on a consistent basis? I don't have any unusual settings in Parallels, but I did configure networking as Bridged.

2. sgniwder

sgniwder Member

3. PeteD2

PeteD2 Bit poster

Thanks, I haven't had any of those issues, but I believe mine was happening before the Sierra upgrade as well.

4. W.I

W.I Member

I had the same problem because win 10 was trying to download/install an update. There was no message about an update, just the dots in a circle. The next time you manage to get windows started, check windows update to see if it is trying to do an update.

5. DallasC

DallasC Bit poster

I am seeing this after upgrade to Sierra and or update to latest Parallels Version 12.1.3 (41532). Can't seem to get my VM back. It seems to be permanently stuck in shutting down. But I was able to bring back after "reset" of the VM.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DallasC
    Please follow the steps outlined below to fix the issue:
    1. Shut Down Virtual Machine.
    2. Changed VM profile to Windows 10 under > virtual machine Configuration > General.
    3. Start Windows 10 virtual machine and let us know how it works.