Window cut off, not showing full app

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fwtepp, Sep 3, 2012.

1. fwtepp

fwtepp Bit poster

Hi, I'm new to Parallels an fairly new to the Mac. I've just installed Parallels 8 and on some programs, like Firefox, everything is fine and it shows the full window, but on other programs I only see 1/4 of the window. This is not an issue of these programs not being maximized or not setting them to full screen view. On one of them it shows the full screen while it loads a file but then snaps to the 1/4 screen after that. And I don't mean it's showing in a small window, I mean half of the side and half of the bottom is cut off.

Any ideas?

Fred

PS: I've added a screen shot. As you can see, it's only 1/4 of the interface. That's with the app maximized too. If I set it to not be maximized then the Parallels window is even smaller and it moves around when I drag the app within it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. fwtepp

fwtepp Bit poster

I've tried searching for an answer but haven't turned up anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Icewind

Icewind Bit poster

I don't have an answer, but I wanted to mention that I'm having the same problem with Coherence Mode in Desktop 8. Applications that worked fine in Desktop 7 Coherence Mode are now being cut off as you describe in Desktop 8.

You should definitely put in a problem report if you haven't already.

4. rmanley99

rmanley99 Bit poster

Found this sometimes happens here too with Retina:

I find PD8 works best when you disable the Retina options under hardware->video - It then behaves more like we were used to before. The clipping problem also goes away in coherence.

5. Icewind

Icewind Bit poster

That did the trick for me, and also fixed a wacky Windows resolution problem I was having with external monitors. Thanks for the workaround!

That's 2/3 of my open support tickets. :)

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

The simplest solution to clipped windows in Coherence for now is to disable retina resolution for your VM here:
    VM Configuration > Hardware > Video > Enable full resolution.
    This happens to Windows applications that don't support high DPI settings. We're aware of the issue and are working on the fix.

7. fwtepp

fwtepp Bit poster

Thanks! I have a Retina so I'll wait for the fix.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

Note that apps not supporting high DPI will still be upscaled by Windows on retina display if full resolution is enabled.

9. fwtepp

fwtepp Bit poster

So they can't display at the real pixel-for-pixel res like they do when using Boot Camp to run them in Windows itself?

10. serv

serv Forum Maven

They can't. Windows reports lower DPI for those apps and upscales resulting renders. It's possible to force those apps to higher DPI, but the chances of improvement are low.
    To force high DPI, right-click the application icon in Windows, open Properties, Compatibility tab, then check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

11. fwtepp

fwtepp Bit poster

Thanks! I disabled display scaling and now it works very well!

12. MRJames

MRJames Junior Member

Parallels Cutting out window

I have the same problem. It only happens when I am in coherance. I bought parallels 8 just so I could get the Retina display..... so it would be kind of annoying to get rid of the retina feature. I find there is no problem as long as I don't work in Coherance, but the way I work, I use coherance quite a bit.

Any of you guys have a fix for this that might work without disabling the Retina display on the VM?

13. serv

serv Forum Maven

MRJames,

Can you name the application that you're having problems with? PD8.0.18354 contains fixes for windows w/ DPI scaling, so we'd like to look closely into your case.

14. MRJames

MRJames Junior Member

Clipping of Window

It's Adobe Reader XI that clips out. I'm also using dual monitors if that matters. Some days it clips off when I click an attachment from outlook that is PDF and goes to the default program to read it which is Adobe Reader XI.

Any ideas why it would be doing that? Some days it doesn't give any problems. Some times it still continues to clip for the whole day even if I restart my computer a few times.

15. MRJames

MRJames Junior Member

Adobe Clipping Out

Hi Serv,

Were you able to figure out what I could do to get Adobe to stop just showing me a quarter of the window with it clipping out as I mentioned?

All the other programs work great, but not Adobe so far.

Thanks so much.

16. serv

serv Forum Maven

So far, Adobe Reader works fine in Coherence for us. Can you submit a problem report and post report ID here when you see it?

17. MRJames

MRJames Junior Member

Clipping of Window

The problem ID that I posted today on this issue and the issue below that just came up is the ID of Parallels #1568595

It's got even worse today. When I switch out of coherance to use Adobe Reader XI (Completely updated) and then switch back into coherance to handle my many windows on my external monitors that is attached to my 3 month old macbook pro retina 2012..... when this happens all my Outlook Excel and Internet explorer windows won't show when I press them. This has happened a number of times over the past few days, and is now the norm. Nothing is frozen, they just won't allow me to see them at all (well I can see a tiny bit of them when I click the applications in Windows sometimes.... it appears that they too are clipped off).

I put this all in my report.

You guys really do have some bugs with this new parralels 8. I also have been getting crashes quite often in Outlook and other programs lately when I have been using Parralels 8, ever since I switched from Parralels 7.

18. serv

serv Forum Maven

There must be a typo in your report ID, as of now the number should be somewhere above 21000000. Would you mind sending another one? You can refer to this article for help http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058

19. MRJames

MRJames Junior Member

Problem ID - Clipping of Window in Adobe

I checked and the Problem ID is 1568595

When I put 1568595 in the "Go to ticket" at the top of the parralels website it takes me straight to my ticket that I have submitted which is 1568595.

The problem seems to be on your side. See attachment showing my ID and screen shot of the problem ID.

Attached Files:

20. serv

serv Forum Maven

To generate a problem report click Parallels Desktop Help menu > Report a problem, see KB above for details. This is not a support ticket.