Weird behaviour, Parallels 12/Win8 and Parallels 11/Win7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GerbenW, Feb 18, 2017.

1. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

I am trying to decide what to do about the following. I have two Parallels installs:
    - Parallels 11 on a Late 2013 Corei5 MacBook Pro running Win7 Professional
    - Parallels 12 on a souped-up Corei7 iMac 2011, running Win8 (something)
    The Parallels 11/Win 7 machine has been starting to get into trouble, cause unknown. In the space the C: drive fills up until it hits around 64GB, then says it is full. It seems to be largely system/error messages according to Win7 Disk Cleanup, but I have no idea what the cause is. I can use Disk Cleanup on Win7 to get 16GB free, which still is weird (as I would expect a lot more), but when I do that and shut down the VM, Parallels 11 rapports that only 20MB is reclaimable. Furthermore, I use an application on both systems (it is why I run Parallels/Win in the first place), for which I can install the 64bit version on this Parallels11/Win7 combo, but the other combo (Parallels12/Win8) only accepts the 32bit version. On Parallels12/Win8 the installer complains that it has the wrong hardware and the vendor advised to install the 32bit version, which worked. But this is recent, because I could install the previous version of that application just fine as a 64bit. Who is to blame? I don't know. Some Parallels 12 upgrade has messed things up so I cannot install this app 64bit anymore?

Now I am wondering how to make my situation better. Upgrading the MBP to Parallels 12 might kill my option to run the app 64bit there if Parallels is to blame. I'd like to know what causes the Win7 to go haywire (that is recently new too, this started somewhere last year). Again, causes can be everywhere, but possibly Parallels 11 upgrade has clashed with Win7.

As it is now, I would like to find out what to do about this. I need some guidance to solve this situation.