Visio 2016 almost unusable

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by John31, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John31

John31 Bit poster

HI, I am hoping someone has some experience they can share to help me solve a problem I have running Visio. I have Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac pro edition running on a 13" MacBook Pro Late 2013.
    I recently installed Visio 2016 and the software runs very slow with terrible lag in response to any editing (Text or Graphics). I am not sure if this is due to the Mac spec or if there is anything I can do to change the config. Other software such as Excel etc works fine.
    The Mac spec is 2.4 Intel core i5 with 8GB of RAM, running High Sierra.

Any advice would be appreciated

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @John31, some Windows-based programs is not adapted for such high pixel density (DPI) resolution of the Retina display: Windows virtual machine resolution becomes very high thus everything is too small; in-program fonts, UI buttons or images are not rendered properly.
    You may check out the steps below to fix it:
    Step 1: Enter advanced in the search box and click View advanced system settings on the list.
    Step 2: As the System Properties window shows up, tap Settings in Performance.
    Step 3: Deselect or select Smooth edges of screen fonts, and hit OK.

3. John31

John31 Bit poster

Thank you for your reply. Could you let me know which search box you are referring to ? Is this in the Parallels settings ?

4. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @John31 We are referring the Windows Search Bar. Click on the Windows Start Menu so that you will get the Search Bar inside the Windows.

5. John31

John31 Bit poster

Thank you. I have made this adjustment and the speed has improved but it is still very slow to update any changes made on the screen. I have noticed that if I zoom in within the Visio software it gets even worse. Do you have any other ideas ?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @John31, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

7. John31

John31 Bit poster

Hi. Thank you for the reply. I have submitted a technical report under number 230251195

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @John31, did you try uninstall and reinstall Visio 2016 in Windows virtual machine?

9. John31

John31 Bit poster

Hi, no I have not tried this, but will give it a try, if you think it may solve the issue.

10. MarcoL4

MarcoL4 Bit poster

Microsoft Knows Best.

For years we got faster processors and now the core speed drops down and the core count goes up. So multi-processing is the way to go. Great !! you think the more cores how faster my pc. WRONG !!! Microsoft decided that one core pro process is enough for us stupid user. Did you buy a new pc with the latest hardware, freshly installed windows 10 and office 365 and performance is sludgy?

I don't notice this problem in word, excel is faster on this pc, Outlook begins to annoy me with its slow start-up it slower than on my ten years old pc? But Visio 2016, 2019 and O365 brings slowness to a whole new level.

Oke. I have quit a large Visio file with al lot of shapes and I import data from excel. But with the visio pro 2010 and 2013 it took 5 minutes, but from Visio pro 2016 and up it takes 10 to 12 hours to perform the same task?? And in the meanwhile, hoping you don't get an error and you must start over again. This will cost me my job.

We have had contacted several Microsoft helpdesks they gave me all the run-around we even contacted Satya Narayana CEO of Microsoft and got a case manager, she took it to the head-developer and in all his wisdom he decided that they won't develop multi-processing.
    What are they thinking that this is a hobby and that users are stupid and not important.

So as last resort I made a request in the uservoice from Microsoft. So please help me and yourself to support my request and VOTE !

https://office365.uservoice.com/for...external-data-import-use-multiple-cores-again

Thanks
    Marco

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @John31, yes! It will fix the issue.