USB - to USB 'virtual cable' ?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Nov 12, 2017.

1. For a number of reasons (security, privacy, speed) I would like to connect two linux (or macOS) VMs together using a USB cable (similar to http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249678-32-file-transfer ).
    I can do the driver software but I need Parallels to allow me to link two virtual USB ports together --- hopefully on the same machine. Possible?
    If not I guess I need to try VirtualBox as the USB support there seems open to examination.

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi SterlingG. The functionality you're referring to can't be possible - a VM, by design, only picks up a physical USB storage connected to the Mac. A limitation of virtualization.

3. How about a real USB cable - plugged in to both USB ports (I use a MacBook Pro)? If that is not possible I guess I will use a 'host only' network adapter. Is there any traffic that bleeds out of a host only connection? What about DNS lookups?

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

No traffic goes outside of Host Only connection (except that it is visible on vnic1 host interface). By default DNS is enabled even for Host-Only. It is possible to disable it in configuration (I assume that you are familiar with for example vim editor): Quit the Parallels Desktop. Run in terminal
    "sudo vim /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml"; Go to the section <NetworkID>Host-Only</NetworkID>;
    Change EnableDns to be zero: <EnableDNS>0</EnableDNS>

If you want you can also disable the vnic1: Change Enable in <ParallelsAdapter dyn_lists=""> to be zero: <Enabled>0</Enabled> - this will make VMs in HostOnly networking see each other and don't see the Mac host

5. Thank you - I will do that.