Upgraded to 12 with Mac Sierra Serial Port will no longer connect help!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JackL4, Mar 19, 2017.

1. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

Hello,

Apologies if my searching is missing something obvious.

I use an industry specific testing device which I upload data to WinXP on my MBA using Parallels 8 previously.
    Now that I have gone to Sierra and Parallels 12 I can no longer connect to Com1 through the serial port. It states its busy or I do not have permission and will be disconnected.

Resolution of this is critical for my nearly every day use.

Thanks in advance.

2. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

THIS IS THE MESSAGE I GET
    Unable to connect the serial port 1. The connection status for this device is set to Disconnected.

The socket required by the serial port 1 is used by another process or you do not have the permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the serial port will be disconnected.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi JackL4, pen virtual machine's Configuration menu -> go to Hardware tab -> click on '+' -> add Serial Port and follow the steps to reconfigure COM ports:
    1. Now you need to choose a source for COM port:
    2. Launch the virtual machine and configure device in guest operating system. For Windows please hit Win(Cmd)+R hotkey -> in Run window type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter/Return.
    3. In the Device Manager window please expand Ports (COM & LPT) menu -> choose desired COM port -> right-click on it and enter Properties.
    4. Here you may configure additional settings of COM port.

4. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

Thank you for replying.
    I am running my Virtual machine that was created some time ago in previous version of Parallels.
    Clicking "+" does not give me the option to add a Serial Port. It only lists Printer as an option.
    I already have a Serial port from previous version that worked when I checked "Connect". Now it lists that port as disconnected and I cannot "-" (delete) it either.

5. HonzaIl

HonzaIl Member

Just to make sure... you are using usb-serial device, I assume? Is the usb device connected to the virtual machine? If not, you need to connect the usb device to virtual machine first (in usb devices) and then you can make that serial port useful in the VM.

6. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

Yes I am connecting a radon measurement device for data upload. The process you describe is how I was doing it using P8 prior to upgrading to 12. Once plugged in I would open the hardware config and check the box to connect. Now when the virtual machine stars in P12 is thats the Serial port is busy or I do not have permission and its status is changed to disconnected. When I open the hardware config panel to try to select a profile it won't let me connect and gives me the same dialog having to do with busy and lack of permission.

I found another thread dealing with this and terminal says the Serial port is being used my "User ID"$. - my user ID for my machine. I was thinking of trying to open the connection with Terminal (close the user ID connection to allow connection) but I don't know the commands.

7. HonzaIl

HonzaIl Member

P8 is long time ago, I do not remember how usb was handled there. Here is what I would do - an dI understand this may be something you did few times already, in which case just ignore this. Shut down the Windows, unplug the usb->serial device, start Windows again and let them fully boot. Make sure the serial port is not in the devices listed under Windows device manager - if it is, something is wrong with Windows... Assuming it is not, keep Windows running and attach the usb->serial device. Dialog should come up asking, if you want to connect this new usb device to Mac or Windows. Now, P12 may already know that you want to use always Windows (you select this by holding down alt when selecting Parallels in this dialog). If the dialog does not come up you may need to check in top right corner of the VM frame the pulldown menu which looks like plug, those are all usb devices. Unluckily, names are cryptic. You need to make sure that the device you want to use in Windows is checked in this pulldown menu. I sometimes have to unplug a device, check the names and plug it again to figure out which device is the one I need to connect. Names are ugly and non sensical...
    In any case, once you device is connected properly to Windows, Windows should show that they are installing device driver. This is your indication that the is any chance the usb->serial device CAN even work. I believe that if you see this Windows message (installing driver) AND the driver is correctly installed, any further problems become Windows issue and not Parallels issue...

8. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

Thanks for the help I am going to try that.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @Hanzall, thanks a lot for sharing your results!

10. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

Shut everything down. No USB devices connected. Restarted MBA. Started my virtual machine (P12 data file) first -. Same dialog comes up.

THIS IS THE MESSAGE I GET
    Unable to connect the serial port 1. The connection status for this device is set to Disconnected.

The socket required by the serial port 1 is used by another process or you do not have the permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the serial port will be disconnected.

11. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

My machines are in the field testing but when I pick the next one up I may have found a solution in Parallel tools. There is a Device config pane that lists USB-SERIAL connection as permanently assigned to my Mac.
    Once I can connect a tester I'll see if I can reconfigure that for my Windows XP and if that works.

Thanks again for replies

12. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

No joy
    :(

13. HonzaIl

HonzaIl Member

This is actually informative... Some software is starting in Windows which si trying to talk to that serial port. In this case it of course does find the serial port and throws this error.... But its presence may be problem for Windows driver installation.
    I would first disable the software and restart Windows. No error should come up... Then I would install the usb->serial gizmo, make sure that driver for the usb->serial is installed and available in device manager - with driver showing as properly installed and functioning - before letting any software trying to talk to it... It is possible that the software is blocking installation of the driver by trying to utilize/block to the serial port.
    Also, there is no guarantee the usb->serial gizmo will be found on serial port 1. I have seen these little beasts getting assigned more or less random serial ports - on real Windows boxes, not even in Parallels. Keep in mind that P12 may assign this usb gizmo different ID than P8 did, it is new "hardware box"... Would you have more serial ports listed? May be all you need to redirect the software to different serialX port.

14. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

This still does not work for me.
    My devices show up under the external device menu. But my VM will not communicate with them.

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @JackL4, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

16. JackL4

JackL4 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply

17. roccop

roccop Bit poster

Is there a solution to this issue? I am running into the same problem where I see the USB serial Converter in the Windows Device Manager, yet I am not able to add/create a serial port in the Parallels Device Configuration Panel (I can see the usb device (FT232R) but can only add a printer, no serial port option available).

18. DavidT31

DavidT31 Bit poster

I am currently having the same problem on new macs running High Sierra and Mojave. My old mac running High Sierra does not have this problem. I just submitted a ticket but have gotten no response from Parallels support yet. I suspect it is a Mojave problem where it never recognizes my Keyspan 19HS USB serial adapter. I just did a clean install of Parallels and the Keyspan driver on a Mac running High Sierra and everything worked fine. Tripp Lite claimed that the 19HS adapter and driver should work on Mojave....both their website and the support tech I talked to said this. The tech did say that a future driver update could fix the problem. I would greatly appreciate any ideas anyone has on this.