Unable to access Windows activation servers

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by edmartin123, Nov 14, 2017.

1. edmartin123

edmartin123 Bit poster

I can not get my boot camp-based Windows 10 (latest version) to activate in Parallels Desktop for Mac 13 (latest version as of 11/14/17). If I boot in boot camp, Windows 10 shows that it is activated. But the VM in Parallels says it is not activated and no matter what I try, Windows reports "unable to access Windows activation servers".

I have internet access.

Help?

2. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello edmartin123, this happens because the hardware is slightly different between native Mac hardware and virtual machine hardware. Please follow as suggested below:
    1) Go to https://www.microsoft.com
    2) Log in to your Microsoft account that was used to confirm Windows 10 upgrade.
    3) Locate your license key on your account.
    4) Reset the activation of your computer.
    5) Use Windows 10 license key to activate your Windows 10 BootCamp virtual machine.
    At the end of this process, both native BootCamp and the virtual machine should be activated.
    Note: in case of any issues with license key reset, contact Microsoft support for assistance. Thanks!

3. edmartin123

edmartin123 Bit poster

Thans, Meena. I purchased Windows 10 digitally through the online Microsoft Store. Doing that, I don't get a license key... it's just an entitlement that activates Windows.

4. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

You're welcome. Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

5. edmartin123

edmartin123 Bit poster

No, I didn't solve it. What I meant was that I originally purchased the Windows 10 license digitally through the Microsoft Online store. So I do not and a license key and can not do the steps you suggested.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @edmartin123, you may activate Windows in Virtual Machine and restart Windows. Make sure Windows is activated in Virtual Machine.
    1. Restart your Mac and boot to Boot Camp directly. Go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation -> click on Activate button.
    2. If it cannot be activated online - call Microsoft and activate Windows by phone, please tell Microsoft Support you have changes the hardware and need to reactivate Windows installed on your drive. Microsoft should not require using a separate Windows license key for a virtual machine based on Boot Camp partition. Reboot Windows in Boot Camp and make sure Windows is activated.