Unable to access the virtual AND hard disk unable to connect hard disk 0

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DanielM17, Oct 4, 2017.

1. DanielM17

DanielM17 Bit poster

I install a new MAC OS X "HIGH SIERRA" and my VM doesn't works anymore.
    It tries to locate a boot device available but the path of VM I think it's missing.
    HOW CAN I SOLVE IT? I attached 3 images. I need for you help
    Thanks.
    (Version 12.2.1 (41615))

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      39.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

3. DanielM17

DanielM17 Bit poster

It didn't work.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. DanielM17

DanielM17 Bit poster

and Parallels removed .hdd file without reason.

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DanielM17 , if you have any other users on our Mac, please login and check if your Windows virtual machine is running on that, if yes, please shutdown and start from this user account.

6. DanielM17

DanielM17 Bit poster

That's doesn't work, the ".hdd" file is corrupted. Please check the new image (HDD CORRUPTED FILE.png). Thanks.
    How can I recover / restore?

Attached Files:

7. DanielM17

DanielM17 Bit poster

• I uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled again.
    • I removed the VM and I 've been trying to create a new one from Bootcamp but I still can't do.
    • and... I'm having the same errors messages by doing two last steps above.
    What else can I do?

8. MarioM3

MarioM3 Bit poster

Hey Daniel,
    I had the same problem. The "solution" for me was to upgrade to Parallels 13 and then follow the steps posted here:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/bootcamp-in-parallels-13.341582/#post-829000

Hopefully they will release a fix for Parallels 12 soon, but for now you could try the 14 days trial. I don't know much about downgrading, if you plan to go back to 12 though, so I would check on that too.

Hope this helps!

Mario

9. DanielM17

DanielM17 Bit poster

NO, NO , NO. How could you tell me that as an answer! I won't upgrade to v13 to solve this issue. I need to resolve this whithout uograde nothing. Thanks so much, but that's no a ethical solution.

10. MarioM3

MarioM3 Bit poster

Completely agree with you, that's why I put the solution sarcastically to quotes. Anyways, it was either that or nothing at that moment.
    Hopefully Parallels will release an update soon. I have some colleagues postponing the High Sierra update until Parallels releases a fix.

11. RegisF

RegisF Bit poster

I have the same problem, Parallels 12 is announced to be compliant with MAC OS X "HIGH SIERRA"!

12. RegisF

RegisF Bit poster

It was actually working until yesterday and today I have the same messages as DanielM17, but I don't think hdd is corrupted (I can access it from macOs)

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RegisF, please launch Parallels Desktop, right-click on the Parallels Desktop icon in the Dock > Click Control Center and right-click the virtual machine you would like to access > Show in Finder. In the Finder: Right-click the virtual machine .pvm file > Open with > Parallels Mounter, check whether it is mounted?

14. WANGY

WANGY Bit poster

Hi PaulChris@Parallels, I got exactly the same problem, and tried to open with Parallels Mounter as you mentioned above. The message I got is:
    Unable to open the virtual hard disk.
    Boot Camp partitions are not supported by Parallels Mounter.
    Please advise how to fix this. Thanks!

15. RobertH32

RobertH32 Bit poster

I got exactly the same message as WANGY. Something similar happened to me last year when I upgraded Mac OS and I "fixed it" by upgrading to Parallels 12. I do not want to keep upgrading parallels every time I upgrade my Mac OS! Please help.

16. TapioK

TapioK Bit poster

Same problem here. Upgraded to High sierra and boot camp win10 stopped working: "unable to access virtual hard disk". Tried to mount the image with Parallels mounter and got same message as WANGY. I have the boot camp set up so that it can be used independently or through parallels. My linux vm is still working in parallels.

KunthineeK and Nick12 like this.
  17. RobertH32

RobertH32 Bit poster

Is there ever going to be a fix for this? I have important work to do on Windows 10, but I can't access it. If I'm "forced" to upgrade to Parallels 13, will I get a full refund? I've had to purchase at least 3 versions of Parallels within 5 years to keep things working right. My first "forced" upgrade came just a few months after buying Parallels for the first time. I'm not a programer, but this has to be a relatively simple fix. It's strange that all the other software on my Mac continues to work just fine with simple software updates, but Parallels suffers a painful death after every major OS upgrade.

KunthineeK likes this.
  18. Nick12

Nick12 Bit poster

Same problem here with Parallel 12.0, I am not upgrading to V. 13. I paid for this program not long ago and it is a an unfair way of making money from this company!! to force you to upgrade!
    I used to encourage everyone to get Parallels !!

Attached Files:

KunthineeK likes this.
  19. KunthineeK

KunthineeK Bit poster

Same problem here as well. Anyone know how to fix this. I have an urgent work that I need to work on windows, so I just found out this problem.

20. RobertH32

RobertH32 Bit poster

I caved in and upgraded to to version 13. My work was to important so I could not wait any longer. I will be transferring everything to my Acer laptop so I won't have to deal with this ever again with my Mac. I purchased the following versions: Parallels 9 on 4/23/2014, 10 on 3/18/12015, 11 on 10/24/2015, 12 on 11/29/2016 and 13 on 12/6/2017. You can either pay a subscription of about $49 and get a "free" upgrade or you pay about $49 every year (or less) for a new version. I had to buy 5 versions in 3 years, 8 months to keep Parallels working. I can use other software on my Mac for much longer periods, e.g., I use Quicken for 3-4 years before upgrading to a new version. Parallels 13 will be my final version.