Ubuntu 16 is using lots of CPU

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MichaelJones, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MichaelJones

MichaelJones Junior Member

Any idea why Parallels 12 and Ubuntu 16 is eating my Macbook CPU? I just upgraded form Parallels 11 to 12 and now this thing is nothing but a fan tester.
    Symptoms are 90% CPU showing on Mac side, and typically compiz is going crazy at the same time on the Ubuntu side. I already disabled sync to vblank.
    Parallels 11 just did not have this problem. Reinstalling tools makes no difference. 3D is disabled. Retina is enabled.

Parallels User likes this.
  2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Please, send us problem report (select virtual machine window, in Mac app menu bar go to Help -> Send Technical Data) and post its id here.

3. MichaelJones

160363383 (3D Disabled, compiz usage high)
    160363841 (3D Enabled, compiz usage normal)

I discovered it is best with 3D on, which is the opposite of past revisions.

4. rkulikov

Well. It seems to be ok that without 3D virtualization enabled compiz eats CPU eagerly - just because lots of 3D things are emulated in software. But it's not clear to me: was there difference in CPU load on PD11 with and without 3D enabled?

5. MichaelJones

Over several versions of the software, in particular PD10 and PD11, it always chewed up the CPU with 3D enabled.

6. MichaelJones

BTW, they only thing running on Ubuntu was a shell running top, and Sublime, so nothing 3D at all. At this point I'm all good. It's just that I have had trouble with compiz in general, and worse on Parallels if the settings are not correct, but we are stuck with it for now unless we want to do surgery.

It would be helpful if there were some note on how to make Ubuntu sing on Parallels we can just refer to, if that is easier than tracking down this kind of behavior.

I know there is a lot of focus on Windows, but there are many linux users. I try to stay away from vmware, because it has its own problems chewing up the CPU, even when it is not running, due to background processes.

7. rkulikov

> It would be helpful if there were some note on how to make Ubuntu sing on Parallels we can just refer to
    Seems I don't quite catch you. Do you mean that you need some kind of instructions to make Ubuntu guest performance better? Or guide how to troubleshoot performances issues? Or what?

8. BleysG

BleysG Bit poster

Yes, I think it would be a good idea for Parallels to publish official "recommended" settings guides for at least the major releases of the top 3 Linux distros. So I would expect when Ubuntu 17.04 comes out, there's an official reference for how I should create and/or upgrade a guest in Parallels with ideal settings and warnings of common things that might not work or at least will cause slowdowns.