Ubuntu 11.04 support for Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by BenBecker, Apr 6, 2011.

1. BenBecker

BenBecker Bit poster

Hello,

While attempting to install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 11.04 (x86_64), I encountered some errors during the kernel build process. I created the attached patch (untested and unsafe as it removes dentry locks that I'm not familiar with) in order to get the kmods to build on Ubuntu 11.04's 2.6.38-8-generic kernel.

After applying the patch, the installer successfully builds the kernel modules, but fails with:

It looks like somebody took a very similar (and more accurate) approach here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Parallels#Installation, but as I have no experience with X, I'm not sure how to proceed...

Any help implementing support for xorg 1.10 on a x86_64 Parallels guest, or information on when this will be officially supported would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

-ben

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. mohdf

mohdf Member

any updates on this issues ?

3. JasonV

JasonV Bit poster

It would be nice to have an official response on this. I'd like to see the Parallels Tools working--I cannot properly test this for my customers otherwise.

Thanks,

-- Jason

4. Matthias03

Matthias03 Bit poster

Yes, please

I can understand not offering anything for the beta release of Ubuntu 11.04. Well, it's no longer beta, it was released today (04/28), and the issues we've been experiencing with the beta, still exist.

I can post the error log if necessary. Since it's rather easy to re-create, I won't.

Please let me know if you need logs.

Thanks

5. John Stalberg

John Stalberg Bit poster

Ubuntu is rather important over here. Yeah I know, bleeding edge is begging for it, but Ubuntu is kind of mature and it just seems to be something that should have been taken care of during above mentioned beta. But if it is more complicated than this some statement about it would make the difference of being able to make an educated decision and ..., whatever you would call it.

6. mac-addict1982

mac-addict1982 Junior Member

X-org 1.10/Ubuntu

Parallels Desktop does probably not support Ubuntu 11.04, since it uses X-org 1.10.0. This is probably also the reason OpenSUSE 11.4 is not supported yet.

I don't understand why Parallels has not been able to release an update yet: Both Ubuntu 11.04 and OpenSUSE 11.4 have had a beta stage, during which Parallels should have been able to program an update... I like Parallels Desktop as such very much, but I don't understand why it normally takes so long until Parallels has adapted its Linux guest-additions to the new kernel and the new X-org-version.

7. Bradley

Bradley Bit poster

I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and the parallels tools are still working for me. It would be nice to have this working so I could do a fresh install though.

8. roylong

roylong Bit poster

just installed 11.04 and same problem

I will have to just put using Ubuntu in Parallels on hold then...

9. Simon Waddington

Simon Waddington Member

Don't hold your breath

Last Ubuntu update it took two or three weeks before Parallels updated to support it. Since the beta and release candidates are usually very stable it's a shame they can be ready from day one, but I wouldn't expect 11.04 to come any sooner than mid-May. Parallels folks reading this... feel free to surprise me!

10. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hey everyone. Currently Parallels Tools is not supported in Ubuntu 11.04. The issue will be fixed in the next PD update. I apologize for any inconvenience this is causing any of you. Thank you!

11. mac-addict1982

mac-addict1982 Junior Member

Good :) But still: Why don't you guys at Parallels Inc monitor the main developments in the Linux scene like the new kernel or x-org-releases? Sooner or later, they appear in all the linux distros, mostly after a longer beta stage...

12. GeordeeN

GeordeeN Bit poster

Not sure that patch is good. The ArchWiki link is good upto kernel version 2.6.38. I guess while removing dcache_lock, you may want to add a d_lock instead.

13. GeordeeN

GeordeeN Bit poster

Another question on the same topic would be - will Unity be supported in Parallels Desktop for 11.04. I get a Classic desktop instead of Unity. I tried Qt-based Unity 2D, but it does not have that same quality as the Compiz one.

14. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

Good news for the forthcoming update, hope it works from the 1st try.

For me, my VM upgrade from 10 to 11 simply broke it (ie impossible to restart the VM after the upgrade was performed, it says the main disk is missing or something like that...) so I tried the fresh install but then I have 3 issues (in importance decreasing order) :

- I took the official image in French version, but it's in English and I can't change it, I dunno if it is related to PD not being installed (though i don't see the relation)
    - the PT are not supported (recursive post :D)
    - Unity not working (and I read it is working with VirtualBox) even though 3D is activated in the options

15. Christian L

Christian L Bit poster

In reply to #10: Thanks for your promising announcement! I will need to install opensuse 11.4 on a few macs by the end of June. Will there be a compatible built by then? I'm not yet owner of parallels desktop, but, the missing compatibility to opensuse 11.4 is the only resistance.
    Chris, Switzerland

16. IvayloY

IvayloY Bit poster

That's very nice information, but could you enlighten when exactly can we expect the next PD update, please?

17. asciilator

asciilator Bit poster

Thanks for the news! I look forward to the update.

18. M-Rick

M-Rick Bit poster

It's always the same with Parallels, after every update you have to wait for months before getting a working update/solution with the Parallels tools !
    They prefer to sell you new copies, including the parallels tools in the next upgrade ...............

And they dare to say they are partners with Canonical, they can't even maintain an updated version of the Parallels tools while the beta testing of Ubuntu releases is long enough ...............

19. MarSat

MarSat Bit poster

My upgrade broke things

Trying to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 totally broke my VM. Now I can't get back to my data and files. Am I stuck until there is an upgrade to PD?
    Is there a workaround?
    I get the disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present error.
    preceeded by
    init: udevtrigger main process (289) terminated with status 1
    init: udevtrigger post-stop process (295) terminated with status 1.

HELP

20. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

I got the exact same problem : unusable VM now... unfortunately I hadn't done a backup before the upgrade, and I think it's a MUST. Luckily, I didn't have any important data in there (+ I only store data into Mac OS X file system, which I access from the VM, and *not* inside the VM file system), and I did a full reinstall with 11.04, where I'm also waiting for the PD update to have the PT working there like everyone...