The virtual machine processor was reset by the operating system

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JieL1, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Doctor Wied

Doctor Wied Bit poster

It would be nice to know, if someone in Parallels support group is working to fix this problem.

2. Doctor Wied

Doctor Wied Bit poster

Could you please give me an update on this issue? Are you working on a solution?

3. DddL

DddL Bit poster

Hello everyone.
    I have the same problem and hope anyone from the parallels support could help.

MAC OS X Version: Yosemite 10.10.5
    Paralles Version: 11.2.3
    Virtaul Machine is Windows 7 Professional with latest Updates.

Evertime Windows installs automatically the Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 (KB4054852) the error appears with next reboot.

I allready tried the thing mentioned in this KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/123831 but no succes:
    - When typing powercfg -h off in the VM (with admin privil.) it will not be done because hibernate is not supported by the firmware of the system (free translation from the exact german message "Fehler beim Wechsel in den Ruhezustand: Die Anforderung wird nicht unterstützt (...) Die Ruhezustandfunktion wird von der Systemfirmware nicht unterstützt.").
    - The alternative resolution from the KB articel (kernel.report_hibernate=0) does not help also.

Actual I solve the problem by restoring system (Windows) with point before framework update. But after next autmatically update some weeks later the error occurs again when framework update is installed again.

I hope there is anyone who could help. Thanks in advance.

PS: I hope my english is OK, I'm from germany, so all error messages are in german and I try to translate them in english but that are not the exact words from the english messages.

Doctor Wied likes this.
  4. DddL

DddL Bit poster

Does anybody from official Parallels Support read anything here in forum????

Doctor Wied likes this.
  5. Doctor Wied

Doctor Wied Bit poster

It has been more than a week now. I'm also increasingly desperate, as this problem seriously affects my work. Again I urge the support team to come forward and declare wether or not Parallels acknowledges the problem and is working on a solution.

6. OliverD2

OliverD2 Bit poster

Same here - none of the proposed solutions works... I even updated to Parallels 13, paying additional money for nothing...

Unbelievable how long this issue is open already!!!

7. Doctor Wied

Doctor Wied Bit poster

Here's a solution - sort of.
    I talked with a support representative Friday. He offered this workaround:

"In order to resolve this issue, I took remote access of your Mac. During the remote session, I performed below tasks:
    1. Started Windows virtual machine in Safe Mode.
    2. Used Control Panel to find the list of installed updates on Windows.
    3. Removed this particular update (KB4093118).
    4. Restarted Windows virtual machine. "

The culprit, thus, is the above mentioned Windows Update. Remove it, and the system starts to work again. However, make sure, that the update is not automatically installed again. Here is another quote from the Parallels supporter:

"I understand Windows installed automatic updates and the issue had reappeared.
    I would like to assure you relevant teams are working to find a permanent fix for this problem. Meanwhile I suggest you to turn of Automatic Updates for Windows 7. To perform this task, please follow below instructions:
    1. Open the Windows Start menu.
    2. Search Windows Updates and open it.
    3. Once the Windows Update settings is open select 'change settings'.
    4. Open the dropdown menu under the "Important Updates" header.
    5. Select Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
    6. While installing any updates please uncheck this particular update (KB4093118)."

Hopefully we will se a permanent fix soon.

8. forensicny

forensicny Bit poster

My virtual machine is corrupted. I am unable to make changes in safe mode and keep getting "The virtual machine processor was reset by the operating system" when I am not in safe mode before I am able to remove any updates. This is very frustrating. I have been using Parallels for years. I have not had problems like this before. I have another VM for which I have turned off automatic updates. However running Windows without the latest security fixes is not a good option either. I hope there will be a fix - and soon.

9. kbacon

kbacon Bit poster

I have the same issue where I cannot shutdown my Windows 10 virtual machine. Every time I attempt to shut down I get "The virtual machine processor was reset by the operating system." and the system just reboots and loads Windows again. It eventually brings me to a Recovery Screen where it says "Windows didn't load correctly.
    This is a clean fresh install of Windows 10 in Parallels
    Version 13.3.1 (43365) on Mac OS 10.13.5 Beta (17F70a).

10. edouardr

edouardr Bit poster

Hi guys,
    Having the same issue here. Tried to uninstall the update (without going through Safe Mode - as explained can't get to there) but I can't find the mentioned update.

Would be great to see a fix for this. Thanks.