Support for openSUSE Leap 42.2 in Parallels Desktop 11?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Colin1, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Colin1

Colin1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have been using Parallels Desktop 11 with Leap 42.1. The only issue I ran into was when the kernel updates. Leap would start to login but crash the Plasma window manager.
    To fix the limping VM, Parallel Tools needed to be reinstalled. This required dropping to a terminal (Ctrl-alt-F1) and mounting the Parallel Tools iso /dev/cdrom to the virtual /mnt/cdrom and then running the "install" script.
    • Ctrl-alt-F1
    • mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    • ./install
    But now, after the 42.2 upgrade, this trick no longer works ... the screen mostly works, but the mouse is invisible and makes it a little difficult to use. :p

I noticed another post that mentioned 42.2 is not supported. (https://forum.parallels.com/threads/support-for-opensuse-leap-42-2-when.338424/#post-811884 )

So now, am I now out of luck testing openSUSE Leap 42.2 because Parallels Desktop 11's Parallel Tools is behind?
    Will Parallels 11 ever support openSUSE Leap 42.2, and if so, when?
    Will Parallels 12 support openSUSE Leap 42.2, and if so, when?

2. Colin1

Colin1 Bit poster

Virtualbox worked with LEAP42.1 guest upgaded to 42.2. And it's free ....

3. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Parallels Tools will also not install on Tumbleweed. The script cannot find the kernel headers. How do I fix this?

4. Colin1

Colin1 Bit poster

I have not used TumbleWeed, but the VM guest "tools" compiled into the kernel is common thing with Linux.

The idea is that you need get the Parallel Tools script to run on the guest.
    This is similar when using VirtualBox with Linux as well. The installer/script will compile the "VM tools" into the guest kernel.

You are running into a snag due to the development tools and/or the kernel source files are not installed yet on the guest. Basically the guest kernel needs to compile some VirtualBox Tools stuff.

You need a command similar to
    Code:
    zypper install gcc kernel-devel
    good luck

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  5. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I already installed kernel-devel. But in Tumbleweed, I think the headers may be in a different place.

6. SourVader

SourVader Bit poster

Hello,

I have the exact same issue with Tumbleweed, this time with Parallels 13. GCC and Kernel-Devel already installed. Anybody have any ideas?

7. SourVader

SourVader Bit poster

bump - I believe this warrants a response from Parallels. I have paid for software and it does not appear to fulfill its stated goal.