Support for new iMac 2017 with old Windows VMs...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarkS22, May 3, 2017.

1. MarkS22

MarkS22 Bit poster

Just curious (and not truly understanding how virtualization works), but I currently use Parallels with several different Windows versions (XP, 7, 8, 10). I am looking at upgrading to the new iMac when it comes out and I understand that it will have the the Kaby Lake CPU from Intel, from what I read... "Microsoft only officially supports Kaby Lake on computers running Windows 10 per support policies, and Windows Update blocks updates from being installed on Kaby Lake systems running versions older than Windows 10. In support of this position, Intel only provides chipset drivers for Windows 10.[24][25][26]"

Does this mean that Parallels VM's older than Windows 10 will not work on the new iMac, or does Parallels "trick" the old Windows OS to think it's using a different processor than Kirby Lake? It's important that I can still use Windows VMs older than Windows 10 on my new iMac. Thanks for any info!

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You don't have to worry about chipset drivers as it is not needed if you are using Parallels Desktop. You will be installing Parallels Tools on all Windows virtual machines which will act as drivers.