stuck on "Trying to boot from usb drive.."

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MuhsinFatih, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MuhsinFatih

MuhsinFatih Bit poster

Parallels is stuck when trying to boot into Ubuntu on external device (usb). This usb has ubuntu installed in it, not the installation media, but actual Ubuntu which I boot with grub on startup. I selected "External device" in hardware > boot order, and selected my usb as external boot drive. Looking at the log file I realised that Parallels tries to mount the usb twice, resulting an error as it gets rejected. Screenshot of error and log file are as follows:
    upload_2017-7-24_1-58-0.png
    upload_2017-7-24_2-3-49.png
    Here is the full log file:
    parallels.log.txt

If my intention is not clear yet let me explain clearer and in more detail: Much like how bootcamp windows partition can be accessed with parallels, I want to boot into my ubuntu drive in parallels. In a nutshell I have triple boot system where linux is on a usb stick rather than a bootcamp partition, and I want to access this linux usb when using mac with parallels desktop.

I suppose this is a bug. If so, I would love a workaround until this is fixed in an official release.
    MacOS version: 10.12.5 (16F73) Sierra
    Parallels version: 12.2.1 (41615)
    Ubuntu on usb stick version: 16.04 LTS

Attached Files:

2. MuhsinFatih

MuhsinFatih Bit poster

Anything? Mods? I think if I am right then this is an issue that needs consideration. I simply can't boot ubuntu from live (persistent storage) usb

3. KonstantinO

KonstantinO Parallels Developers

Does the USB disk boot on real host ?

4. MuhsinFatih

MuhsinFatih Bit poster

Sorry for my late reply. If you mean if I can boot the usb on startup then yes. Apple's bootloader doesn't support usb booting as far as I understood, so I had installed grub bootloader and now I have 3 options when I start the computer: MacOS, Windows10, Ubuntu 16.04. Other than that I tried rEFInd (apparently very popular) bootloader, which also recognised all 3 installations, but neither of the bootloaders did parallels recognise. I can launch my Bootcamp Windows10 with Parallels, but I cannot launch my Ubuntu with Parallels.

5. TianlingZ

TianlingZ Bit poster

I have encounter the same problem with Parallele-13.1.1(43120)
    But I can boot the same usb drive with vmware fusion.

Who knows how to resolve it?

Attached Files:

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    could you please enable detailed logging (menu of Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Advanced -> use detailed log). Then reproduce the problem and send a technical data (menu of Parallels Desktop -> Help -> Send technical data). Then post here its number.
    Disable the detailed logging then, since it generates really many logging.