Some Basic Questions (Sr. Citizen Dumb Questions)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RobertR18, Jun 16, 2018.

1. RobertR18

RobertR18 Member

Hello,

Thanks for all the previous help. Really very appreciated.
    Having lots of trouble in understanding all the "nuances".
    Will blame it on my age. But am really trying to learn.

If anyone can answer any of the following, would be most appreciative:

a. I click on the Parallels icon in the Dock that is labeled Parallels Desktop
    What comes up is what I would expect for a normal Windows 10 screen on starting.
    But, it has the three small dots in the upper left hand corner, that are the Mac symbols for closing, etc.

Why is this ? If truly a Windows screen, shouldn't it have "X" in the upper right hand corner as all Windows Apps have ?

b. Re the two icons in the Mac Dock:
    One is labeled Parallels Desktop, and the other is labeled Windows 10. Still confused why two show.

What are the differences ?
    When switching from Mac to Windows side, which should I use ?

c. When switching to the Mac side, a the initial screen shows a triangle that you have to click on, and then a
    counter that increments to some value like 100 prior to actually enabling Windows.

Any way around this, and to just have it start right up each time ?

d. That line item of "suggestions" that comes up on the left hand listing when you click on the Start Button. Any way to get rid of this ?

e. Where is that: "always ready in background" option ? What does it actually do ?

Much thanks,
    Bob

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi RobertR18,
    a. Parallels Desktop is a Mac application. So it will not have a close button as Windows application and please understand Windows is not an application to have a close button. As you are using Parallels Desktop as a platform to run Windows you will get Mac close button. You can enter fullscreen using the green colored button.
    b. Parallels Desktop will have an icon and another icon for a virtual machine. First Icon is to access Parallels Desktop control center and second is to access the virtual machine.
    c. The play button is to start the virtual machine after it is started Windows will start booting.
    d. Please share a screenshot of what you are asking. If you asking about Start Menu Search suggestions then we cannot do anything about it.
    e. Always run in background option will let you start Windows immediately and use the applications installed in it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  3. RobertR18

RobertR18 Member

Hello,

As always, thanks for reply and help.

Bob

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are happy to assist you. Feel free to reach out to us anytime for support.

5. RobertR18

RobertR18 Member

Hi,

Am really trying, very hard, to understand all the nuances with the Parallel's install I did.
    Have it working the way I want, i think, but am "still" very confused over this point.
    Would really like to understand it, fully.

From the Mac Dock, if I click on the icon that says Parallels Desktop, or if I click on the icon
    that says Windows 10, the EXACT same screen shows up. Appears to be a Windows 10 opening screen.

What, am I, as usual, missing, please ?

**What are, or should be the differences ?

Thanks,
    Bob