::SOLVED:: Parallels Desktop 13 with Windows 8.1 - configuration fail

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NickK4, Apr 15, 2018.

1. NickK4

NickK4 Bit poster

Hi everyone!!

I use OSX 10.13.4 and Parallels Desktop 13.

I imported windows 10 from bootcamp - work fine.
    No I tried to import windows 8.1 from another PC. That doesn't worked. I tried "network" and "external drive" method to copy the data but I always get the same error. I uploaded a screenshot...
    Can anyone held me??

Kind regards,

Attached Files:

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello NickK4.
    Is this Windows 8.1 a virtual machine file (a file with the extension '.pvm')?

3. NickK4

NickK4 Bit poster

Yes it is

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Can you let us know the file system of the external hard drive you used for moving Windows 8.1?

5. NickK4

NickK4 Bit poster

It is a NTFS System
    Do you mean that?

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

7. NickK4

NickK4 Bit poster

Thanks.
    I did everything what is mentioned there. There where some system errors that are fixed now.
    But after doing it all, I created a new .pvm file on an external drive and migrated it again, but got the same error....

8. NickK4

NickK4 Bit poster

No one out there that could help me??

Is it a problem, that windows 8.1 is a 32 bit version?

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @NickK4 , for testing purposes can you please try creating a new virtual machine on your Mac or trying migrating a different PC and let us know the same issue persists.

10. NickK4

NickK4 Bit poster

SOLVED

So, I solved the problem.
    I had two physical hard drives. Both were splited in 2 partitions each. So I had four partitions.
    The problem was, that the boot sector (which was automatically created by the system) was not on the same hard drive as the OS and all the data.
    So when he copied all the data to the .pvm file, the boot sector was missing.

I used this tool: https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html
    to transfer the boot sector on the same hard drive where also the OS is installed. The partition assistant is an amazing software - ease to use and quick: the transfer was done in 30 sec.!

Then I created a new .pvm file and now everything works fine!!

(Sorry for the bad englisch. :) )

11. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries.