[solved] Has someone a running Windows 10 with April Update (1803) on Parallels 12?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlBundy33, May 18, 2018.

1. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

First I had a lot of problems installing the update.
    After the first start while preparing the update (light blue screen) the process freezes at 0%.

After removing USB- and Bluetooth devices from my vm (hardware-tab) I was able to successfully update to 1803.

But now after the login windows freezes after a short while.
    The mysterious thing is that I can move my mouse but cannot do anything (open start menu, move windows etc).
    But if I press ctrl+shift+esc (to open the taskmanager) I see that the mouse courser changes shortly to the spinning cursor and back to the default one.
    So it seems that the system is at least partially reacting. :-/

After that I've tried to do a clean install.
    The installation was successful but again after first login when windows tries to display a message (e.g. from cortana or first message from one drive or after inserting a dvd to choose the action) the system freezes again like above.

When I boot into safe mode this seems to work but in this mode I don't have the mentioned messages.
    So I would assume that this is maybe some kind of driver problem.

DanaP likes this.
  2. DanaP

DanaP Bit poster

I cannot install it. It reboots into a black screen of death and that's it.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DanaP, thanks for reaching out! Please start the virtual machine and go to Action (Mac menu bar) -> Reset to fix the issue.

4. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

I've created now a new virtual machine (without any modifications on RAM, CPU, ...) and did again a clean install of windows.
    This seems to work so I've tried to edit my current vm and selected the profile in general tab again to remove my changes.

Now I'm trying to install 1803...

5. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

I am running v13, Win10 and just recently it started nagging me about the update. I let it run in the background and the next day noticed it was just a black screen. I had to restart and Windows automatically rolled back to the previous version quite smoothly.

Now it is again prompting me to install, and now it is stuck at 0% after about 30min. Does Parallels not support this version of Windows? I use this VM for work so it is blocking me, I can I guess roll-back but eventually Windows will just auto-install again.

6. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

It sems that reseting the profile worked for me - currently Windows is running as expected.

@jdxjohn: I had the same issue with 0% at the first restart on the light blue screen mention preparing for updates.
    In my case removing the usb-devices and resetting the profile helped for me.

7. KyleG2

KyleG2 Bit poster

How do you "reset the profile" ?

8. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

9. Cocoaju

Cocoaju Junior Member

It doesn't work. The only resolution is to keep it running or maybe do a clean installation.

10. AlBundy33

AlBundy33 Member

Have you removed usb and bluetooth devices from hardware tab and reseted the profile?

If a clean install works this must be another issue because in my case I hade the same problems after a clean install before I found out the steps to fix this.

11. Cocoaju

Cocoaju Junior Member

Oh! I haven't tried that, I only tried resetting my profile. Let me try first. Thanks!

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Thank you for sharing this workaround here.

13. NielsK1

NielsK1 Junior Member

Same for me - now eventually I managed to get the April update to install after applying this fix. It has been a very frustrating past few months.

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Thank you for letting us know. Reach out to us any time for support.