Softlok and Win10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JulianW4, Mar 23, 2017.

1. JulianW4

JulianW4 Bit poster

I have a bit of CAD software (Kasemake 11) that uses a Softlok USB for licensing their software. I have two mac's where this works but on another one the Softlok USB seems to keep loosing connection to the Windows VM, none of the systems see the USB on boot I have to disconnect and reconnect them to be picked up, but on one of the VMs it just keeps loosing the connection to the USB after about 6-7 minutes, which causes the software to stop until I disconnect and reconnect the USB (either physically or via the external devices options).

Is this something anyone else has experienced? It seems like there is a power saving option almost turning this off, but I have gone through the Mac and Windows settings and stopped windows being able to stop the USB hub device.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Julian

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi there. Please disable any antivirus/firewall/VPN [or better still, remove the antivirus (if there be any) completely)] in the Windows VM that keeps losing the connection to the USB and observe if that makes any difference.

3. JulianW4

JulianW4 Bit poster

Thanks Hemnath, the VM doesn't have any third party AV program installed. It does have the Windows defender enable, so I'll disable it and see if that helps.

I'll have to double check this in the morning, but I think the other VMs that this works on also have the default Windows defender setup.

Julian

4. Hey, did you check it?

5. JulianW4

JulianW4 Bit poster

Hello just managed to test this and it hasn't helped, also the other machines do have defender enabled.

Is there any type of log to check if Parallels is loosing connection or if Windows is?

6. Hemnath@Parallels

There is, but such information is contained only within Problem Report ID's and accessible on our end alone. As for the issue, please follow https://goo.gl/j7xFhR till Step 9 to run your Windows in an empty virtual machine and check for the issue in the same.

7. JulianW4

JulianW4 Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion, I've now tried this a couple of times and all I get is "no boot device is available". Is there anyway I can send you the logs to have a look at then?

8. Hemnath@Parallels

We'll ask for that if needed. Now, quoting from your first post....
    ...So you have the exact same setup [CAD software (Kasemake 11) in Windows virtual machine to which Softlok USB is connected] on the said 2 Mac's and it works perfectly on those Mac's?

9. JulianW4

JulianW4 Bit poster

Yeah same set up on two other Macs that seem to work fine. They have a little trouble connecting on the first attempt, but on re-connecting the dongle they're fine.

10. Hemnath@Parallels

11. JulianW4

JulianW4 Bit poster

I've tried to create a virtual machine without supplying a Activation code, which I thought would be the easiest way to get a test system up. But is this "IE Test Environment" a better way? It isn't just Internet Explorer is it?

The way I tried I did recreate the system with the program, Kasemake11, but on starting the Kasemake it is now just crashing and I think this is more of a problem for them and have asked their support about it.

12. Hemnath@Parallels

A better way? Yes, since it is an authorized Windows copy. And no, it isn't just IE - it's just the name.
    Let us know how that goes.

13. JulianW4

JulianW4 Bit poster

Well after quite a bit of messing and chatting with the support at Kaemake, the only way I could get around and have something working, was to downgrade my version of Parallels from v12 to v11. I'm almost certain it did work in v12 originally but it could have been an update or something that made it stop working. Was there anything added recently with power saving or USB related, for the updates?

Also I need to license v11 now, is there anyway I can use my v12 license key for v11?

14. Hemnath@Parallels

There was no such thing really.
    License keys always work only with copies of the corresponding versions.