Snow Leopard Server As Client In V12

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JoelM1, Aug 25, 2017.

1. JoelM1

JoelM1 Bit poster

I have recently purchased Parallels v12 to run on a brand new MacBook Pro, 16GB x 1TB SSD x Quad Core i7 running current version of OS as Host OS. I need to run Snow Leopard Server as the Guest OS in order to continue using two internal proprietary apps that are built on Carbon and have not been updated to Cocoa. Notwithstanding all advertising, marketing and actual text on the product box to the contrary, certain basic features offered do not work. Parallels escalated product support has confirmed the following, but I thought I would reach out to the community to see if others can confirm that product support is correct.
    My issues are:
    1. The Caps Lock Key does not work in the Guest OS. I am unable to get Caps Lock to stay on. One MUST hold down the Shift Key in the Guest OS to obtain a capital letter.
    2. The Guest OS can not see or access local physical volumes in the Host OS. The SSD on the machine in the Host OS is not visible to the Guest OS. However, I am able to mount the Host OS local physical volumes as foreign network mounted volumes in the Guest OS, but this is clearly not as good as directly accessing the local physical device(s).
    3. The Guest OS can not see or access foreign volumes (Server Volumes) mounted in the Host OS. I can, however, mount the foreign volumes directly in the Guest OS but that means the foreign volumes must be mounted twice because I need to access them from both the Host OS and the Guest OS.
    4. If the Host OS has an active and properly functioning VPN Connection to a remote network, the Guest OS can not access it or use it. However, I am able to initiate an active and properly functioning VPN Connection to the same remote network directly from the Guest OS.
    5. Is there a way to set the "Control Center" so that it does not display it's window at launch? Or opens minimized in the dock?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer feedback on these issues.
    Joel

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

> 2. The Guest OS can not see or access local physical volumes in the Host OS. The SSD on the machine in the Host OS is not visible to the Guest OS. However, I am able > to mount the Host OS local physical volumes as foreign network mounted volumes in the Guest OS, but this is clearly not as good as directly accessing the local physical device(s).
    > 3. The Guest OS can not see or access foreign volumes (Server Volumes) mounted in the Host OS. I can, however, mount the foreign volumes directly in the Guest OS > but that means the foreign volumes must be mounted twice because I need to access them from both the Host OS and the Guest OS.

As an alternative to network volumes you can use Shared Folders feature in guest.

> If the Host OS has an active and properly functioning VPN Connection to a remote network, the Guest OS can not access it or use it. However, I am able to initiate an active and properly functioning VPN Connection to the same remote network directly from the Guest OS.

You can, but only if "Shared" networking type is set.

3. JoelM1

JoelM1 Bit poster

To rkulikov, thanks for your response. Sadly, what you suggest does not even exist in v12 when Mac OSX is the Guest. The dialog boxes do not even contain the options you are talking about. The dialog boxes don't match what shows in the digital Manual or the On-Line Help. Parallels Support has confirmed that items 1 through 4 listed above in my original post are simply not supported when Mac OSX is the Guest. Parallels does not provide the full set of features advertised and promoted when Mac OSX is the Guest.

4. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Parallels Desktop does support features I've mentioned above for macOS guest.

Shared Folders are enabled/configures in VM configuration menu: Options tab -> Sharing.
    Type of network is set in VM configuration menu: Hardware tab -> Networking.