Sluggish Mac when Parallels is running

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by EmeryK, Sep 4, 2017.

1. EmeryK

EmeryK Junior Member

I'm running Parallels and Windows 10 on a 2017 21.5 in iMac desktop. 8 gb ram; 2.3 Ghz i5 intel.
    When Parallels is running the entire machine seems noticeably sluggish. Is this inevitable? Is there some setting that will help?

I purchased Parallels for Quicken but am also running Microsoft Office (Word;Excel;PowerPoint). That's all; everything else is done on the Mac side. I've been running in coherence mode most of the time. Parallels is set to allow 2 processors and 2 gb ram to Windows.
    I experimented with allocating less than 2gb ram to Windows but office programs didn't want to run well at all then. On the Mac side the lagtime seems to affect pretty much everything - some keyboard lag at times, spotlight search takes several seconds to come up; pulling up any window is just slow enough that I begin to wonder if I didn't click the mouse or click the right icon and about that time it usually responds. At any rate it definitely seems to run slower when parallels is open so I've assumed the ram is maxed out.

I'm a new Mac user... any tips or help is appreciated.