SanDisk Cruzer hangs Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by richrem, Jun 28, 2007.

1. richrem

richrem Bit poster

Hello,

I am running the following environment:

Mac OSX 10.4.10
    Parallels 3.0 build 4128
    VM: Windows XP PRO SP2

MacBook PRO 17" Core 2 Duo
    SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1GB (USB Flash)

I am experiencing a weird issue with the Cruzer where it hangs Windows Explorer when clicking on a folder to view the contents. I had the U3 system installed, but removed that and it is still having the same issue. I upgraded to PD 3.0 (from 2.5, where it also experienced the issue) hoping that this would cure the issue, but it has not. I understand that the Mac OSX upgrade to 10.4.10 broke some (all?) of the USB compatibility, hence the rush to get the recent 2.5 build (3214, I think) out.

I have noticed, however, that I can see the files fine in DOS. If I start a command window, then do a "dir /s" in the USB root folder, from that point I can also see the files in explorer.

BTW, I can see the files on the USB stick normally from a 'real' windows machine and on the Mac from OSX.

Are there still some known issues with the USB hack that was done recently?

Rich

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Does the Micro have any kind of activity light? If so does it stop blinking during the hang? How long have you allowed the hang to continue before giving up? Are you able to eject the Micro from Windows after it's hung?

For comparison's sake, I have a Cruzer Mini that worked fine with my environment, similar except I have a 15" MBP.

3. richrem

richrem Bit poster

Answers to last post

Yes, the micro has an activity light. I have waited out the "hang" sometimes and given up other times. It seemed that not all directories were created equal where some would respond reasonably quickly and others took in the minute+ range, sometimes in the 3+ minute range, where I killed explorer. I accidentally discovered the DOS trick just to see if I could copy a file off the stick.

The light never turns off using either VM Windows eject or Mac eject. It does turn off on a 'real' Windows box. And, when explorer is hung, I can't use the Windows eject. I have also found that if I pull the stick out, explorer comes back immediately. Not the best thing to do, granted, but it gets me working again. I usually have a decent backup around, so am not too worried about losing data.

4. ard

ard Bit poster

Same behaviour here. Using Devices/USB/Cruzer ejects (unmounts) the sandisk in macos, mounts it momentarily in the windows explorer displaying its contents, displays a message like the device being in use by some program, suggesting to unplug the device.
    At that moment however, no application is active except for Parallels, and once you click away the alert the stick remounts under mac os x.
    Dragging contents from the macos stick window into the parallels' windows desktop gives an icon with a green '+' sign, indicating a copy action starting. In windows an hour glass appears and windows seems to hang. I haven't installed the
    http://download.parallels.com/GA/Parallels%20Desktop%203214%20Mac%20en.dmg
    update yet.

ard

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  5. richrem

richrem Bit poster

update 3214

FYI, I did get past the "device is in use..." error by applying update 3214, but I think there is still some work they (Parallels) need to do for USB devices in general.