Printing special characters from Windows

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AllanW, Jan 25, 2017.

1. AllanW

AllanW Junior Member

I've got a Word file with special characters in it like quotes, the Maltese Cross and ellipses symbols. All the "special" characters show up in Windows Word as Times New Roman. They look fine in Windows Word but print in some other font (Quotes as Cap O umlaut and circumflex i) when I look at them in Preview as the result of printing the file. They look fine in Windows Word Preview, but in the Mac Print, when I choose to look at the file in Mac Preview or actually print it, these characters don't come through properly, i.e., in some other font. I have set the Options to embed TrueType Fonts, etc.
    What am I missing?

Should have said ghat I'm using latest Parallels Desktop and MACOS 10.12.2

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. AllanW

AllanW Junior Member

Hi Maria,
    I went there and it says the article is out of date. I looked around and could not find anything that seemed relevant.
    Thanks for any help,
    Allan

3. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Please try these article1 and article2 and keep us posted on your progress.

4. AllanW

AllanW Junior Member

Hi Maria,
    At article 1 cited above there is a reference to KB 6157 which seems to have fixed the problem. It is tedious as it requires careful review of he document for incompatible character translations, but I got it to work.

The real issue is with Mac. Preview doesn't work properly and I can't work around it, or at least, i haven't found a way to. So I thought to print the document our from Word in Windows. It works fine but I had to resolve the character translations. Apple should be ashamed of itself.

5. Ok, I got you.
    And could you send a screenshot to us please?

6. And one more question. Are you using Mac or Mac OS VM?

7. AllanW

AllanW Junior Member

Hi Marie,

I regret to inform you that this was all my misunderstanding. Word, for reasons that are not clear to me, continues to show the original font when it has made a substitution in fonts because the font shown in the font window is not available on the target (Word in Windows from Word in Mac) machine. Thus, though, for instance, a Maltese Cross was shown in Windows Word as Zapf Dingbats, that font was not available. It showed properly in Windows Word on the screen as a Maltese Cross but would not print as same. When I changed the font to Wingdings, present on both Mc Word and Windows Word, the problem disappeared, so it was all my lack of understanding. Oops

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi AllanW,
    we are happy to hear that the issue you were facing was resolved and it is not Parallels issue. Feel free to reach us anytime for support.