Please help/ odd messages when starting parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChrisC26, Apr 17, 2018.

1. ChrisC26

ChrisC26 Bit poster

I've run into an issue with Parallels and am not sure how to fix it.
    My friend was running Mac Yosemite with Parallels 10 and Windows 7.
    Recently, he received notification from Windows 7 that there were updates.
    He updated and the problems came. First, his computer screen became erratic, with program windows resizing and jumping around. Then when he entered data in a field, there was a lag time between pressing a key and the info appearing.

I went over to help him. First thing is rebooting computer. We noticed that he needed Mac OS updates, so we did that. He's now running High Sierra. Then, we tried running his Windows programs with Parallels 10. It would start, then suddenly we'd get the message in a black window:
    No boot device is available, press enter to continue.
    Then, we'd get another pop up. This one said "Click continue to connect the parallels tools installation image to this virtual machine and start the installation. If it doesn't start automatically, open your cd/dvd drive in Windows and double click setup.exe." We couldn't anything there, because we coudlnt't access Windows desktop to see the cd/dvd.
    Then, we'd try again, and get a message "There's no operating system installed" or something similar. This is confusing because we can see the various windows programs in the Mac Dock.
    We updated Parallels to version 13. Same problems.
    So, not sure how to fix this. It's extremely important that we do not lose any of the data from the programs in windows. Is there a way to get back up the data that we input in windows, and then reinstall everything from scratch?
    Thank you,
    Chris

2. ChrisC26

ChrisC26 Bit poster

Can someone please help? We have clients that needed their information and we cannot get parallels to work any more.

3. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello ChrisC26, Please follow this link to locate the virtual machine file on the Mac (it is a file with the extension '.pvm'). Once you see it, take note of its size and reply with the same.