[PD11] F4 key does not work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Yenlin, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Yenlin

Yenlin Bit poster

Hi All,

I encounter a problem that the F4 key is not working. But the others like F1, F2......F12 are working perfectly except F4. The strange thing is ALT+F4, SHIFT+F4 or other combinations with F4 are still working. I'm using MacBook Pro 2016 with touch bar. This issue does not happen with my MacBook Air.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. FabioO1

FabioO1 Bit poster

Hi,
    same issue here. With Excel (365) F9 and other like F1, etc. are working. F4 does not. Any idea?

3. EgonF

EgonF Bit poster

Hi, same here. All other F keys are working, F4 stops working after about 30 minutes. Any ideas on this issue?

4. SteveD1

SteveD1 Bit poster

I'm also having this problem. Thanks.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Guys, please enable function keys from the command line:

In the virtual machine open Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and execute the following command:

defaults write -g com.apple.keyboard.fnState -bool true

Reboot virtual machine and let us know how it works.

6. SteveD1

SteveD1 Bit poster

Thanks Paul. Mine was already set to 1 (which I assume equates to true), so changing it didn't make a difference. Restarting the virtual machine fixed the issue for me once in the past, but I tried it just now and am still experience the issue.

One potential clue--in the VM keyboard shortcut settings there's an option to "Send OS X system shortcuts." Setting this to "Always" fixes the issue, and setting it to "Auto" seems to bring it back. Always sending OS X system shortcuts causes other undesired consequences so it's not a great solution, but maybe it helps us figure out what the problem is. By the way, it's worth mentioning that F4 is used to repeat last action in Office products, so it's an extremely often-used key.

Also, I believe I started experiencing this problem when I started using a new MacBook Pro w/ touchbar. I'm using an external keyboard with standard function keys enabled.

7. VolkerW2

VolkerW2 Bit poster

I also have the problem with my macbook pro 2016 touchbar.
    Enabling the function keys also did not help (i enabled it also before).
    Some strange thing is, that sometimes the F4 key works, anotherday it does not and i don't know the reason why.
    A solution would be nice since i use the qtcreator and switching between .h/.cpp (without changing default keys) is realy importend.

Well, i tryed to set "Send OS X system shortcuts" to "Always" and it worked for now. Thanks to SteveD1.
    I hope this works also tommorow ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. K__5

K__5 Bit poster

Also having an issue with F4. I have been able to get F4 to work by enabling "Send OS X system shortcuts" to "Always", however this means that I cannot CMD + TAB between windows when running in coherence mode. Seems like it must be one or the other. I would LOVE a fix for this though.
    - Running Parallels 12 in coherence on a MBP w/ touch bar (function keys have been set to permanently display when running parallels or office suite)

for those interested in that:
    1. In System Preferences (in MacOS), choose Keyboard.
    2. Click Shortcuts.
    3. From the left sidebar, select Function Keys.
    4. Click the "+" symbol, then navigate to the app and select it. Presumably Parallels would be an app that can be chosen from this list.

9. Vincnet

Vincnet Bit poster

Which specific version of Parallels did you get this working successfully? My friend got v12 latest 41591, it didn't work on his laptop.

10. K__5

K__5 Bit poster

Also running 41591. It did take some playing though.

first enable "Send OS X system shortcuts" to "Always", then steps 1-4 above

11. Alexandre1

Alexandre1 Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue with Version 13.1.0 (43108). I use spaces in macOS, and need to set "Send OS X system shortcuts" to "Always" or "Auto" to be able to use the Mission Control shortcuts to move from one space to another. But I also use Excel everyday, and it is a real pain not to be able to use the F4 key to toggle from absolute references to relative references. It would be great (or should I say absolutely necessary?) to have the best of both worlds.

12. Alexandre1

Alexandre1 Bit poster

For those who need to use F4 to toggle the reference type of a range in Excel, try to use Cmd+F4. It worked for me :)

13. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Alexandre1 , thank you for sharing this with us. We appreciate your time and participation.

14. Mark_R

Mark_R Junior Member

Hi all,
    This problem with the F4 no longer has just appeared on my MBP when using Excel. With Ctrl or Alt keys it's fine but on its own it simply won't work. It's linked somehow to me having iTunes running on the Mac side while I work in Excel. Didn't used to be a problem until today.