Parallels with XP accessing Network Files

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Probassman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Probassman

Probassman Bit poster

Thread was moved from "General Discussions > User Solutions and Workarounds".
    Stacey M

I have a Mac Book Pro 2.4 with 2gb of ram. Running Parallels 5560 and Win XP. (Mac OS is Leopard). I have a database that I need to access from XP (MS Access) thru an internet connection to my local network. Set the computer name and workgroup but it won't let me connect to the server. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are you using Bridged Networking?

3. Probassman

Probassman Bit poster

Network Bridgeing

No, I don't think so...should I?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish, but it sounds like you are trying to have the computers on your network access your VM, right?

If that is correct, you first need to understand that the OS X is routing the internet connection to your VM and therefore the IP of the virtual machine on Shared Networking local to OS X, and that the external network that OS X is connected to is actually not the local network of the VM.

To overcome, what I perceive to be your problem, you will either A, have to forward your ports that the VM will be working to the VM's private address, or B, use Bridged Networking which will cause the VM to connect to OS X like a network bridge rather than router, and thusly allowing it to get it's own IP rather than sharing OS X's.