Parallels Tools installation agent requires root password

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by GaryW5, Jan 30, 2017.

1. GaryW5

GaryW5 Bit poster

Every time I start up my Ubuntu 16.04 vm I get a popup:
    Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 2.02.53 PM.png
    I cannot get it to accept the system administrator password, the Ubuntu password or the Parallels password. I'm not even sure why I'm getting this popup since Parallel Tools appears to be up to date and functioning. I'm out of options. Any suggestions.

Hsiu-hsianC likes this.
  2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Can you please do this in guest's terminal:
    $ cat /usr/lib/parallels-tools/version
    This will print you the actual version of Guest Tools installed. And compare it with your product version.

3. GaryW5

GaryW5 Bit poster

The terminal returns 12.1.1.41491

4. rkulikov

> The terminal returns 12.1.1.41491
    Does it equal to Parallels Desktop version? You can check it in application menu bar: Parallels Desktop -> About Parallels Desktop.

5. GaryW5

GaryW5 Bit poster

It shows
    12.1.3 (41532)

So not up to date I guess.

6. rkulikov

> So not up to date I guess.
    Yes. It is recommended to keep Parallels Tools up to date.
    So the problem is that you cannot make Parallels Tools Installation Agent start the update process. Do you have access to some administrative account (i.e. user which is included into sudoers) in your Ubuntu VM?

7. GaryW5

GaryW5 Bit poster

Well there's the rub. The password I put in when I installed Ubuntu doesn't work, why I don't know. I've tried the Parallels password and the OSX root password as well. No luck. If there is a separate Ubuntu root password, it is not one I put in.

8. rkulikov

Ok. According to your screenshot you're currently logged into the session os user "grdwalker". Try to relogin into new graphical session as user "Parallels". Parallels Tools Installation Agent will pop-up there as well - give it your Parallels' user password. Tools will be updated.

9. GaryW5

GaryW5 Bit poster

Thank you for your help. I ended up reinstalling with a less easily misspelled password.