Parallels Mounter.app no longer works with High Sierra and Parallels Desktop 13

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RickJ1, Oct 5, 2017.

1. RickJ1

RickJ1 Bit poster

Parallels Mounter no longer works under High Sierra. The desktop app and Toolbox are updated to the current version (13), but my configuration settings don't resemble those shown on other web pages' solutions. How can I now access my Windows 10 volume from Mac OS X High Sierra (read-only)? I use an AppleScript to copy dozens of files from both the Mac drive and the Windows VM, which I really need to run periodically. TIA...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @RickJ1 , you can access Windows files from Mac from Windows drive mounted on your Mac desktop. Please make sure that Mount Windows drive on Mac option is checked under sharing option.

3. RickJ1

RickJ1 Bit poster

Thanks, Arun! That works only when Windows is running, but it does what I need. I appreciate the help!

4. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

5. JoeO5

JoeO5 Bit poster

I have a problem: Parallels Mounter can't open the .pvm file. I need some data, but the Mounter doesn't respond. Any idea? MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3, Parallels Mounter 13.2.0

6. Arun@Parallels

Hi @JoeO5 , do you get any particular error message?

7. MichaelL28

MichaelL28 Bit poster

There is no error message. You cannot mount if the VM is offline.

8. Arun@Parallels

9. RickJ1

RickJ1 Bit poster

Oh oh. I'm now using Parallels Desktop 14 and have recently updated to Mojave. Now this no longer works in AppleScript:
    mount volume "smb://Windows 10._smb._tcp.local/[C] Windows 10/"
    Nor does this, or any other variation I could find:
    set WinDrive to disk "[C] Windows 10"
    In the Windows 10 configuration, "Access Windows folders from Mac" is enabled.
    In the Finder, I can see "Windows 10" listed under Locations, and "Windows 10" listed under Network. Even when connected, selecting "[C] Windows 10" under either "Windows 10" item sometimes shows a folder icon with no contents. Even when I disconnect and re-connect using my Windows login, in which case I can usually (not always) see the contents of the Windows C drive. It's helpful that it's still accessible directly in the Finder, but I need to access it from AppleScript to automate the handling of many files.
    With Parallels Desktop 14 and Mojave, what is now the correct AppleScript syntax to access the VM's C drive? And is Parallels Mounter.app expected to return? -- Thanks

10. RickJ1

RickJ1 Bit poster

Solved (partially): This makes no sense, but after struggling with it off and on for several days, this line began to work:
    set WinDrive to disk "[C] Windows 10"
    At first much of the Windows disk was available, but "Program Files," "Users," and other parts were not. In "Windows 10" Configuration "Access Windows folders from Mac" was checked, but under Advanced Settings, "Share Windows-connected drives with Mac" was not. Once I checked that advanced setting and restarted Windows, everything started to work as they had before updating to Mojave.
    Edit: 15 minutes after posting this, while running a script that copied files from the Windows drive, the Windows drive suddenly went offline. I was able to go back into Windows via Parallels and manually copy files from Windows to the corresponding Mac directory.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019