Parallels Mac OS EL Capitan, Windows 10 very slow Bad performance issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by XxUnkn0wnxX, Oct 4, 2015.

1. XxUnkn0wnxX

XxUnkn0wnxX Bit poster

hi,
    ever since i installed EL Capitan and updated Paralles 11 windows has been very sluggish. back on yosemite when i ran windows 10 from my external SDD i had no issues. but now it takes about 10 minutes for windows to boot i have allocated enough ram to it and disabled all windows 10 visual effects and it is still very slow.

parallels tools takes very long time to install or any application update takes a very long time to install. even opening file explorer or start menu it takes about 1-2 minutes same with any application on windows. its very slow and unresponsive.

please provide a fix for this soon, as i rely on this software to do my studies.

EG: i cannot even use disk manager to properly portion a external drive without freezing or crashing.

2. JamilB

JamilB Junior Member

Same issue here...only i'm still running Parallels 10. I was on the verge of upgrading to Parallels 11 until reading this post. Now i'm wondering if El Capitan is the issue and not Parallels? Obviously something broke. Hope a fix is forthcoming for both P10 & P11.

3. JamilB

JamilB Junior Member

Ok. I've just installed the trial version of P11. Same deal. Taking 10+ minutes to boot into windows. Before going this route, I tried reinstalling Parallels Tools on the P10 VM.... That took 45 minutes to complete and didn't fix anything. This is pretty absurd. Surprised more people are having similar issue and very discouraged that no one from Parallels has bothered to reply to this post.

4. BobC2

BobC2 Bit poster

I have the same problem. After I upgrade to El Capitan, Windows 10 and 7 became unusable. I reset back to factory setting and try my OS with SSD. I still have the same problem.

5. RogerW1

RogerW1 Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. On Yosemite, Win 10 on parallels 11 ran smoothly. Gaming, Asphalt 8 for example, was smooth but now on El Capitan it freezes every few seconds, completely unusable. Anything on Win10 is the same.

Edit: Updated to Version 11.0.2 (31348) and issue still remains

Edit 2: Rebuilt El Capitan and Windows 10 VM and performance is still shocking!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  6. TheunisB

TheunisB Bit poster

Same problems. And NO response from Parallels!? Frustrating

7. YangZ1

YangZ1 Bit poster

The same issue for me. I use samsung T1 ssd to put all the virtual machines. Previously on Yosemite, it was very fast to open any VM from external ssd, but it is super slow with El Capitan and the latest Parallel Desktop. I have done two experiments.
    (1) I use the VMware fusion, it is still fast to open VM on external ssd.
    (2) The file transfer speed between El Capitan and external ssd is still very fast.
    I suppose something may be wrong with Parallel Desktop to deal with either external ssd or usb 3.0 on El capitan. It seems El capitan has opened trim for external ssd, I have no idea if it has been one the potential reasons.
    Wish the bug can be soonly fixed. Very annoy bug ! Thanks!

8. TheunisB

TheunisB Bit poster

And still, NO response from Parallels...

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi All, please try the steps mentioned below:
    Go to Actions > Configure > Options > Optimization > disable Free Space: Real-time Virtual Disk Optimization.
    Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Optimization tab > Set performance to Faster virtual machine; check Enable adaptive hypervisor and Tune Windows for speed. If you're not running on battery power, you can also turn on the Better performance option.
    Go to Configure > Hardware tab > CPU & Memory increase to the maximum .Please refer to this article.

10. TheunisB

TheunisB Bit poster

I would like to try this, but for some reason Actions Configure takes VERY long to load - 15-20 MINUTES! The same goes for Desktop Preferences

Attached Files:

11. TheunisB

TheunisB Bit poster

OK, I have checked - my settings are exactly as you suggested, with 12GB memory. Anything else I can try?

12. WillowC

WillowC Bit poster

I am an old bat with a Macbook Air using El Captain 3.0 OX 10.11 . I need to run one -and only one - program that is not available for Mac - ABEBooks Homebase 3.0 (a book selling inventory program). Might someone here advise me as to which Parallel program would best suit this need. No other Windows programs will be used, no games or heavy stuff.

13. YangZ1

YangZ1 Bit poster

Nothing changed!
    Do the following:
    (1) Put the virtual machine on the external SSD, what most customers are doing.
    (2) Watch the performance difference of Parallel Desktop on Yosemite and El Capitan.
    You should try to fix this bug, this should be marked as high priority because this bug is making Parallel Desktop unusable !

14. Guys, if the issue still persists please generate the problem report using this KB and reply us back with the report number.

15. JacH

JacH Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue with slow performance running a virtual machine from Samsung T1 external SSD.
    This is very annoying! It worked perfectly on Yosemite.
    My report number: 78034435

16. NicholasP1

NicholasP1 Bit poster

Exact same issue here. I thought it might be an issue with the drive itself and needing a new software update for that. Are you using encryption too?

I noticed in the VM the Disk is pegged at 100% constantly.

17. JacH

JacH Bit poster

Yes, I'm using encryption.

18. NicholasP1

NicholasP1 Bit poster

Ok, report sent. Report # is: 78115506

19. NicholasP1

NicholasP1 Bit poster

I copied the VM off the Samsung and onto the main drive and the issue disappeared. There seems to be some incompatibility introduced with El Capitan and Parallels 11 with the drive. Other speed tests and stuff with the drive work perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  20. JacH

JacH Bit poster

I updated to OS X 10.11.1, but still no luck.
    I have tried to run VM's from different external USB 3 devices, but feels like it's running on a slow USB 2 thumbdrive.
    It must be something in El Capitan that Parallels doesn't handle. What I don't know. What I do know is that it worked just fine on Yosemite.

I would like some comment from Parallels regarding this.
    This is a showstopper for me. YangZ1 said earlier in this thread that it works fine in VMWare Fusion...