Parallels Access hijacks screen resolution at start up so I get "input not supported" from monitor

Discussion in 'Accessing your PC' started by MarkH15, Oct 3, 2016.

1. MarkH15

MarkH15 Bit poster

I've been using both Parallels Access and LogMeIn to access my desktop from my smart phone and laptop, respectively. However, both apps use different resolutions, so I had to occasionally correct my resolution while at my desktop after using it remotely by the programs. Suddenly, I got an "input not supported" from my monitor while at my desktop after trying to correct the resolution. I could access and use it with my desktop keyboard etc ONLY if I was simultaneously remote controlling it from my smart phone with PA. No matter what I did with my desktop settings for the resolution, when I rebooted the computer it would keep the new resolution and show up on my desktop monitor ONLY until PA started, which immediately changed the resolution so that I got an "input not supported" from my monitor. The only thing that fixed it was completely uninstalling PA from my desktop (after controlling it remotely from PA because that was my only way to see the screen long enough to uninstall anything). After doing so, on reboot, it keeps my proper desktop resolution but also pops up a system error for prl_deskctl_wizard.exe complaining that the program can't start because PrlSdkCommunication.dll is missing. So I know it was definitely PA shifting my screen resolution to an unsupported resolution the moment it started running automatically on restart. I would like to re-install the most recent version of PA on my desktop (I had 3.1 I think it was called and it wanted me to upgrade to 3.4), but I can't take the risk of turning my desktop computer into a brick by installing something that will ask for a restart at the end of the installation process and then 1) change my resolution to an unsupported resolution on startup and 2) want a reconfirmation of some kind from the desktop to activate PA for remote access AFTER that reboot by again changing the resolution to an unsupported resolution so that I won't be able to see or activate the new PA program from a black screen (so that I won't be able to see anything on my desktop monitor to again uninstall PA to get the desktop monitor working AND won't be able to access it remotely via my cell phone because I won't be able to connect to my desktop with PA remotely either without some reconfirmation of some kind that I can't see to activate). Is this a recognized problem at PA and what is the solution?