Parallels 9 => 12 : Optimization 3D / Font / Performance

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MathieuP1, Jul 18, 2017.

1. MathieuP1

MathieuP1 Bit poster

Hi,
    After using a Macbook pro retina 15" from 2013, and I used mainly from Parallels 9 with windows XP with softwares, I decided, just to add a fancy into my life and buy Parallels 12 with Windows 7 pro, and using the same 3Dsoftwares.
    I had to install Windows 7, and had a lot of troubles to manage to get a proper Retina screen. It took me around a full afternoon and I was thinking I would get crazy. Then, the fonts are displayed very bad, so bad that actually for some softwares, it's impossible to drive into menus.
    My main problem is, I don't want to modify the combo I found between windows setup and parallels setup because it was already so much time consuming that I want to die thinking I had to redo it. Could you please help me to understand what I can do for font management, without ruining my setup.

Another thing is regarding performance, they are probably 50% below what I had. I could not have a proper display with the " videogames setup" (black lines etc) and I chose the "productivity mode, but allowing all I could do in RAM and graphic RAM I could. Is there any alternative to this ?

Many thanks in advance, I am desperate !
    Mathieu

2. MathieuP1

MathieuP1 Bit poster

Any Idea ?
    I just can't work.

3. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

4. MathieuP1

MathieuP1 Bit poster

Hi,
    To add to the conversation, the FONTS are perfect when I use " adapted" for the screen, and not Retina, are perfect in size, but totally pixellated.

When I choose " Retina", it's vector perfect screen but impossible to use because of erratic fonts.

5. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @MathieuP1 Please share some screenshots to help you further.

6. MathieuP1

MathieuP1 Bit poster

Hi Shathish,
    Actually I tried this, but I have no VIDEO category, so I was unable to set this.

When I am in "best for Retina" mode, the screen quality is perfect, and the font issue are erratic.
    Here are the config :
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And result :
    [​IMG]
    But the screen is also strangely adapted to the screen. It looks a bit too stretch horizontally.

When I set this :
    [​IMG]

It gets the perfect screen, perfect fonts, but whole image quality is totally shitty :
    [​IMG]

I get this.

7. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @MathieuP1 Please reduce the Graphics setting(256 MB or 512) in the virtual machine configuration and check and let us know.

8. MathieuP1

MathieuP1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I reduced the graphic settings to 512, but what is supposed to change, it's in the graphic problems or the power of the computer itself?
    If I put Retina in the same time, it's still the same, the image is not good. What is supposed to be in the " windows configuration" of the display?

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MathieuP1, some Windows-based programs is not adapted for such high pixel density (DPI) resolution of the Retina display: Windows virtual machine resolution becomes very high thus everything is too small; in-program fonts, UI buttons or images are not rendered properly.
    You may check out the steps below to fix it:
    Step 1: Enter advanced in the search box and click View advanced system settings on the list.
    Step 2: As the System Properties window shows up, tap Settings in Performance.
    Step 3: Deselect or select Smooth edges of screen fonts, and hit OK.
    Thanks!