Parallels 13 and macOS High Sierra Problems

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by LukeC1, Oct 1, 2017.

1. NicholausH

NicholausH Bit poster

The same issues appears on Parallels 11.

2. Cocoaju

Cocoaju Junior Member

It's weird! It likes to behave differently each day. Today, the vertical distortions don't show up at all. :rolleyes:

3. CraigT1

CraigT1 Bit poster

Getting black screens randomly and can't recover. Suspending Windows and rebooting then starting the VM again seems to recover. Looks like a memory leak or something as it would be working fine then all of a sudden an app will go black (like outlook/work etc).
    Yes - followed the directX, GPU and ram setting as stated earlier in the thread and elsewhere... still happening..

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @CraigT1, can you please send us a problem report collected right after the error and a splash screen (Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

5. StewartR1

StewartR1 Bit poster

I am also having this issue and have tried the above fix to no avail. Please can you advise?

6. MakeynaG

MakeynaG Bit poster

I have the same problem after upgrading the High Sierra and Parallels 13. Yesterday left an update for Paralles but nothing has changed. I'm going to have to get back to VMware.

7. LuizF1

LuizF1 Bit poster

I'm facing the same issue. Any news on a fix for this glitch?

8. PhilippW2

PhilippW2 Bit poster

I am also facing this issue since Parallels 13 was released. Now running parallels 13.2 and MacOs 10.13.1. Going into Standby Mode after the screen went black is the fastest options to recover that I found. If this issue isn't fixed anytime soon I am going back to VMware Fusion. It is impossible to be productive on an unstable system like this.

9. CraigT1

CraigT1 Bit poster

Paul - happened again today - sent you tech data No 227399081

10. CraigT1

CraigT1 Bit poster

Paul,
    Did it again - black screen. Tech data No - 227832418

Attached Files:

11. KonstaS

KonstaS Bit poster

I got this issue as well as I upgraded to High Sierra - artefacts when switching between full screen OSX and WIN10, even worse - I use Skype for business on a daily basis and share the screen. Now when I see others screen it distorts into square artefacts becoming totally unreadable once a minute. However playing with SfB windows size restores the picture til the next slide change - clear video issue.

I decided to upgrade Parallels 12 to 13 - no change, the issue appeared straight after Hight Sierra installation. On three my Macs with High Sierra & Parallels desktop 13 the behavior is the following:
    iMac 27 2010 (old display) - no problem
    iMac 27 2015 5K - no problem, requires more memory for display than 512, otherwise screen sometimes goes blank, but I feel Win10 working.
    MBPro 2013 retina - sporadic win 10 screen distortion, vertical stripes when scrolling between full screen OSX and Win10. SfB works with cubes freezing like damaged video memory.

On the last unit what help - disabling Direct X in VM options. It slows video down, but makes it working right without artefacts including SfB.

Being 7 years with Parallels I haven't had any positive ticket resolution, you rather get into loop of long discussion, explanation, data and screenshot provision, while the output is "please install latest patch and check whether the problem appears" and start the ticket from the scratch. This thread proves no change happened in terms of support. Since not all Macs are involved into the issue it brings additional complexity for problem simulation. Wish Parallels positive changes in client support area.

12. DidierB

DidierB Bit poster

Since I installed Parallels 13, Windows 10 is very very very slow as incredible. Reading the different comments I understand that it is a dream to expect any support from parallels to solve the problem.
    My advise : keep the previous version, this one doesn't bring any advantage.

13. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

KonstaS, unfortunately the problem is not in Parallels. We filed the bug to Apple and they confirm that bug into macOS, they promised us to resolve the issue in the next upcoming macOS releases. That's all i know.

14. KonstaS

KonstaS Bit poster

Let's see what it turns out to be - wonder if Apple reacts, but so far disabling Direct X support in VM properties really helps.

15. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

DidierB, could you please run Windows and open Task Manager to make sure none of Windows processes eat CPU time? Could you post there a screenshot? Make sure you have sorted processes by CPU time in decrease order. Thanks!

16. KonstaS

KonstaS Bit poster

Sorry friend, the connection between Win10 being slow and upgrade of || to v13 is unlikely to exist in the provided facts. I would ask you for the same details as alexg.

Have a good Friday!

17. RodrigoC6

RodrigoC6 Bit poster

Tried everything on this thread, nothing worked. Just installed the 10.13.2 macOS update, fixed it for me completely. I'm running Parallels 12.2.1

18. Cocoaju

Cocoaju Junior Member

I have just updated to High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88) and running Parallels 13.2.

It looks like this update have solved the graphic's issue with vertical distortions when changing desktops. I have been using it for a few days and the problems have now gone away. I think it is a High Sierra issue. Once I updated, the problem went away.

The clock and texts on the windows 10's login page is working fine too (it sometimes flicks like mad).

The profile, settings and power icons in the 'Start' panel is acting normal as well (it use to disappear and will only appear when you rollover them).

19. DanB4

DanB4 Bit poster

I have been dealing with a similar issue after installing High Sierra with Parallels 12. Messages include check disk space, no OS, can't connect to drive, wrong permissions, etc. I found the windows partition and looked at the information. I could see that it was SATA 0:4 so when I went to the control center -> hardware -> hard disk, I could see it defaulted to SATA 0:1. Once I changed that, Windows fired back up.

20. HakanO1

HakanO1 Bit poster

I have different issue. MBP mid 2012 P13 Pro installed. Had no problem with Sierra but when I upgraded to High Sierra, MBP reboots when it goes to sleep with 2 reboot/restarting sound in 2 seconds. Each time a message welcomes regarding sleep wake problem. Tried to find solution in internet and one suggested that he had Parallels and that was the cause. Tried it and bingo. When parallels is on, MBP crashes when goes to sleep. Quit parallels then no problem. Tried quitting VM (Windows 8.1) only and keeping parallels on but no good. MBP crashes.

Any ideas?

sf10 likes this.