Parallels 13 and macOS High Sierra Problems

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by LukeC1, Oct 1, 2017.

1. LukeC1

LukeC1 Bit poster

I have a 2016 MacBook with Parallels 13 [Version 13.0.1 (42947)] running Windows 10 Pro, there is video display issues, when I have the virtual machine set as a separate space and change desktop spaces I get a lot of video distortion and vertical black lines when switching to Windows 10.

Anyone else experiencing issues, and is there an update expected soon?

IvanG3 likes this.
  2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @LukeC1 ,
    We have an issue with Video artefacts when switching desktop spaces in Full Screen mode. The issue is known and our Engineering team is working on it for a fix. We do not have a workaround as of now. Please refer http://kb.parallels.com/123840 for known issues in Parallels Desktop 13 and subscribe to get updates.
    Thanks

3. LukeC1

LukeC1 Bit poster

Good you guys know that full screen mode is screwed up, makes virtual machine impossible to use on my MacBook. I would recommend people either do not buy Parallels 13 and/or don't upgrade to High Sierra.

4. BayramD

BayramD Bit poster

Yes I have the same issue. After I have upgraded to High Sierra, whenever I pass from mac to windows (via touchpad 3 finger swap) I encounter a graphic distortion and black stripes temporarily. But it is really disturbing and I feel that virtual machine got slower after the High Sierra upgrade.

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @BayramD , we are aware of this issue and we are working on it. Please check this article for known issues in Parallels Desktop 13 and subscribe to get updates.
    Thanks

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @BayramD, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 (13.1.0-43108) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

7. chrisd14

chrisd14 Bit poster

The new update did not resolve the issue. Can you guys put some priority on this issue? I am not sure how much longer I am going to be able to use the app. I might have to try another app.

sf10 and LukeC1 like this.
  8. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

9. LucasL3

LucasL3 Bit poster

The same here. I had purchase a single license for Parallels 12, then when I've updated to MacOS High Sierra those screens issues started to happen. Assuming (wrongly) that issue had being fixed on Parallels 13 I've made the subscription.

@Arun@Parallels
    Report ID: 217784842

This black stripes is really annoying.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  10. LukeC1

LukeC1 Bit poster

Still getting issues with the latest update, fullscreen flips back to main screen and the resolution flips to 640x480 even in fullscreen. The reason I bought version 13 was due to the marketing that it was ready for High Sierra...

11. phani

phani Bit poster

This seems to be the trend with Parallels recently! Every time Apple upgrades the macOS, the older version of Parallels breaks and we are forced to buy the new version, although I don't see any appealing new functionality (at least which I need) with the newer version and Parallels seems to make more money than Apple with macOS ;) May be it time for me to switch back to VMware!

ShaneN2 likes this.
  12. IvanG3

IvanG3 Bit poster

The same story with parallel 12 and windows 10 as virtual machine. Sometime when I switch between VM and macOS whole MacBook hung and I need to do hard reset.

13. IvanG3

IvanG3 Bit poster

My colleague complaint about the same issue with vmware and win10 after upgrade to latest mac os :(

14. hasselholz

hasselholz Bit poster

This issue is still not solved. According to http://kb.parallels.com/de/123840 this should be solved with the "upcoming macOS Update". I installed the new macOS update which now is on 10.13.1 and the issue is still there. The issue is being reported now for more than months and still no other response than "we are working on it..." This is very frustrating and Full Screen Mode is still not usable much.
    I'm through with Parallels, won't renew my subscription again with Parallels. Gonna switch to VMware.

15. NataliaA

NataliaA Bit poster

This issue is still not solved at all! I'v recently upgraded both Parallels and macOS High Sierra and those annoying black strips are still there, whenever I pass from Mac to windows. Since we're paying for this service, PLEASE find a real solution.
    ...or back to VMware...

16. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello NataliaA, please shut down Windows (as opposed to simply suspending it; see http://bit.ly/1OfR3td for details), open the virtual machine configuration window (refer to http://bit.ly/1eQU5lF for assistance), navigate to Hardware -> CPU & Memory and allocate 2 processors (or just 1 if the total number of available processors is just 2) and 2 GB of memory for Windows [or just 1 GB if total Mac memory is only 2 GB (or) 3 GB if total Mac memory is 8 GB (or) 4 GB if total Mac memory is > 8 GB]. Then, select 'Graphics' and allocate 1 GB of video memory for Windows. Finally, ensure that 'Vertical Synchronization' is enabled and 'DirectX 9' is selected for '3D Acceleration' under 'Advanced Settings' and close the window. Thanks!

17. NataliaA

NataliaA Bit poster

Unfortunately, even by doing all those steps you mentioned before, the issue is still there. What do I have to do next?

18. StefanS5

StefanS5 Bit poster

Parallels: PLEASE FIX IT!!!

@others: deactivate direct x support and it works fine, even if windows Looks old fashioned

19. hasselholz

hasselholz Bit poster

still does not work at all - this is really bad support for a high priced service

20. Cocoaju

Cocoaju Junior Member

I installed the latest version of the Parallels 13.

"Navigate to Hardware -> CPU & Memory and allocate 2 processors (or just 1 if the total number of available processors is just 2) and 2 GB of memory for Windows [or just 1 GB if total Mac memory is only 2 GB (or) 3 GB if total Mac memory is 8 GB (or) 4 GB if total Mac memory is > 8 GB]. Then, select 'Graphics' and allocate 1 GB of video memory for Windows. Finally."

This worked for me thanks! There are no more vertical distortions when I switch desktops.

After altering the configurations, I shut down the VM and restarted my MacBook Pro 2016.

Now it works like a gem.

UPDATE 16/11/17:
    Sorry, it only worked for a few hours, I restarted today and I have the vertical distortions again! And what's more is that Parallels start up time and Windows 10 start up time has increase a lot. It use to be near instant when I was using Sierra with Parallels 12.

Please fix, otherwise it was a waste of money for me to upgrade to 13.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017