Parallels 12 & Overwatch support

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarcinB1, Aug 18, 2016.

1. MarcinB1

MarcinB1 Bit poster

Hi there,

I am using the newest Parallels on my retina Macbook Pro, 2015 version with 2.5ghz i7, 16GB ram, and AMD M370X. I usually play OVerwatch on my desktop. I installed the newest Parallels because of the supposed Overwatch support.

I set my bootcamp partition to "gaming" mode, maxed out the vram that the GPU on Parallels can use, yet im seeing 15-20 fps in Overwatch on the lowest settings and resolution scale set to 50% (it looks awful btw).

Am i doing something wrong or is this the expected performance?

2. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

3. MarcinB1

MarcinB1 Bit poster

I've already set it to 4 cores. Also have have 8gb ram allocated. Anything else I can try?

4. TomT1

TomT1 Bit poster

I have a i7 4790k @4.3Ghz, 32gb ram and GTX 980Ti and get 60 to 80 FPS on low. My VM has 8 cpu cores, 8GB mem, 2GB vmem and everything set for games and max performance.

On low it's very playable and the framerate is stable overall, only very occasional hiccups at the start and sometimes small instances of major framedrops when lots of particle effects are happening but very rare. I also get the same 60ish FPS on high settings but the huge framedrop spikes become more frequent so I keep it on low, but even on low my GPU gets as hot or even hotter than on pretty much any game I play natively on windows.

This is with the latest Parallels Desktop version, so I guess the performance difference between native GPU and VM is just that big, unless I'm also missing some secret performance boosting setting.

5. MarcinB1

MarcinB1 Bit poster

So what exactly is this overwatch optimization that Parallels uses as a selling point? It was really the only reason I upgraded... not having to boot back and forth between 2 OSes to play overwatch when my friends come over.

6. TomT1

TomT1 Bit poster

Played a bit more now, in order to get no framedrop spikes at all I need to use low settings with literally every advanced settings on lowest or off if possible, 1600x900 resolution and 75% render scale ... So it looks like it's a game from 2005 but at least it's playable. If I raise settings any more it runs fine for 30 secs until I get a few seconds of horrible drops to single digit FPS and usually die.

And that's with i7 + 980Ti, latest NVidia driver and newest Parallels 12, is that seriously expected performance or just a bug for a few people?
    Otherwise I'm not even sure if there are any normal Macs that could run Overwatch at more than 10 FPS.

7. MarcinB1

MarcinB1 Bit poster

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to a Parallels staff reply about the issue. I would not have upgraded had I known that even with optimization, i wouldnt be able to play the game decently.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, MarcinB1, please check out this blog over-watch on Mac via Parallels Desktop.

9. MarcinB1

MarcinB1 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. Based on the blog post, I see that the performance is very lackluster and I was expecting more. It seems like prior to the optimizations, the issue was no hair on character models. The optimizations brought hair back, but didnt increase FPS in a meaningful way.

I have put in a request for a refund.

10. bradleyxiao

bradleyxiao Bit poster

My device is even lower than yours, I could not imagine how I can play that game, which is the reason I use the parallel. I also want a refund now. I think they are doing really poor on this, and like treating.

11. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Please reinstall Parallels Tools and please follow instructions from KB122485 to adjust the Windows virtual machine's configuration.
    If the issue persists, please generate a Problem Report ID, we'll check and help you out.

12. bradleyxiao

bradleyxiao Bit poster

Hi Guna,
    I have follow the instruction, but still, no image exist when I go inside the game. I would require if you can do a remote assistance.
    I have the PD 12, which already has the game function and the setting is just as KB122485. I have sent twice the report to your team. The report ID for the second time is 116225688.
    Appreciate so much if you can help me out with this problem

13. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Thanks for sharing the Problem Report ID(116225688), we're looking into details and will update you shortly. Stay tuned.

14. Matthew4

Matthew4 Bit poster

I have a $6,000+ Mac Pro, and even with the highest spec config and lowest settings, Overwatch runs like garbage. The main issue is the frequent framerate drops. I only upgraded to Parallels 12 for this...I'm so disappointed that it made no difference to the actual performance/playability. The fact that you make this a selling point is incredibly deceptive.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  15. BrysonM

BrysonM Bit poster

Hey Parallels Community......
    I hope someone is searching the forums to see if overwatch will work on Parallels.... IT WILL NOT WORK AT ALL.

After spending $50 on parallels 12 upgrade, $40 on overwatch, adn $ on Windows OS, I have absolutely nothing to show for it except wasted time and increased blood pressure.

I upgraded to desktop 12 because specifically because Parallels said it would work for playing overwatch! I knew it still didn't have directx11, but i thought the team must know something i don't, and I blindly trusted them. Never again. The only thing PD12 fixes is now the heroes have hair. PD11 they don't. But neither version actually works for playing the game.

I have the nicest mac available and set up my VM for gaming. I set overwatch settings to low, 30 fps cap which in itself is stupid low, but i wanted to try. It did not work at all.

I swear if someone from parallels gets on here and tells me this is my problem or has to do with my settings I will lose it.

OVERWATCH IS UNPLAYABLE ON ANY PARALLELS DESKTOP!

the frame drops are literally every other second, meaning you can't tell where you're walking, aiming, or jumping. So frustrated with the false advertising and broken promises. Parallels support, fix this or take out a new add telling the truth that overwatch is NOT compatible with parallels. 100% agree with Matthew4- this was extremely deceptive. I will no longer recommend parallels for work or anything else as the team clearly cares more about selling unusable software than fixing the issues and keeping their word. If Blizzard techs actually helped

Your best chance is to run it in bootcamp, but as i must use parallels for work, I would have to buy another windows OS, and partition my HD again, and reboot to play, and I might as well just buy a PC.

16. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Please generate a Problem Report ID, we'll check and help you out.

17. BrysonM

BrysonM Bit poster

I have done so. 127537095. Please advise of any further steps. thanks raj@parallels

18. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello BrysonM,
    Try to increase the graphics memory allocated for VM to more than 700MB under VM Configuration > Hardware > Graphics then check if you are able to play.

19. BrysonM

BrysonM Bit poster

yes thank you. I tried that configuration many times. up to the full 2000 mb. It does not affect the frame drops or stutter at all.

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Try updating Parallels Desktop to latest build and check.