Parallels 12 destroyed my Win10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NenadL, Mar 7, 2017.

1. NenadL

NenadL Bit poster

Hi Parallels,

Last 6 hours I was trying to find out, why my Win10 Parallels VM suddenly got corrupted.
    I was able to boot Win10 VM and after Login everything which has to do with Startmenu just stopped working.
    Also there were messages about missing c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop
    Everything I've done with VM settings today was pressing "Compress" button for VM hdd to save some space.
    After that I wasn't able to use the Win10 VM anymore. Win10 managed to boot but after login there were only problems.

Then I restored the VM from backup and tried to compress again, and had same corruption problem.
    At the end I decided to import the Win10 VM into VMware Fusion and at import Fusion told me,
    that my VM was shutdown in Hybrid mode and can not be imported. I needed to start it up and shutdown with cmd.exe:
    "shutdown /s /t 0"
    Then I got the Idea, why the corruption happened on compressing VM:
    The Win10 wasn't shut down completely but in hybrid mode, and my Parallels Desktop 12 didn't tell me about
    that while I was pressing on "Compress" button and destroyed the VM.

Why Parallels doesn't check how the VM was shut down and prevent corruption of VM on hdd compress ?
    And why the hell Win10 shuts down in that "hybrid" mode ?
    From now on, I'll only shut down my VM Win10 with "shutdown /s /t 0" command.

2. JDTalbert

JDTalbert Bit poster

I had the same hybrid error. Go into sharing and if you have another VM file attached to the VM, you will get this hybrid message when trying to mount to the finder. Go into the settings for the VM, detach the shared VM file and then you should be about to mount it.

3. RichardK13

RichardK13 Bit poster

This isn't a corruption issue. There is a known registry issue where the "Windows Update" is causing the problem. I forgot exactly where but I fought that problem for 6 months before I figured it out.