Parallel Tools not installing in High Sierra Guest

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by jred55, Jan 14, 2018.

1. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

Hi, I've been trying to install parallel tools into my high sierra vm unsuccessfully. I created the vm from new rather than a sierra upgrade. The tools installation completes successfully but upon reboot I'm still getting the yellow triangle to install the tools. I've tried installing a number of times but still getting the same result. My high sierra host is 10.13.2 and the guest is the same. Any help/advice or tips? Thanks, Julian

Attached Files:

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

3. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

Hi, thanks for this. I checked out the guide and the instructions aren't relevant to my situation. When I start up the parallels tools are already mounted (as per the screenshot attached). Thus point 3 onwards of the guide can't be followed as they aren't an option! My situation is more in line with the next page - 'Updating Parallel Tools'. However, again, point 5 onwards of these instructions aren't relevant as double-clicking the install icon just proceeds to install the tools. I get the complete and reboot message but upon doing so, just takes me back to the tools not be installed.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks, Julian

Attached Files:

4. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

Hi Parallels Support, any other advice or guidance? Thanks.

5. JeroldA

JeroldA Junior Member

Here is the error message, in /var/log/system.log (from guest):

Jan 22 11:40:08 macoshighvm prl_fsd[491]: cannot open TG
    Jan 22 11:40:08 macoshighvm com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd[491]): Service exited with abnormal code: 255
    Jan 22 11:40:08 macoshighvm com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

6. JeroldA

JeroldA Junior Member

I also tried to execute the LaunchDaemon manually, without any success (all as root, of course):
    • /Library/LaunchDaemon/com.parallels.vm.prl_fsd
    I also tried to execute the program that the Launch Daemon executes, without any success.

I could find no '-debug' or '-v' switches to the prl_fsd command.

7. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

8. JeroldA

JeroldA Junior Member

9. JeroldA

JeroldA Junior Member

I filed the following issue to track this, I will report on results:

Parallels / #2481653: Parallels tools cannot be installed on High Sierra Guest OS

10. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

Thanks.

11. JeroldA

JeroldA Junior Member

12. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

Ok, thanks. I get no such message so my issue must be different. Going to try to create a new high sierra vm and see what happens.

13. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

Having built a new vm, parallels tools seems to have installed ok. I did get the 'system extension blocked' message and followed the guide to fix. So, seems to be all ok now. Thanks.