Paralels Tools for Kali 4.6.0 impossible to install

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by GjorgiV, Jan 26, 2017.

1. GjorgiV

GjorgiV Member

Hi,
    I just installed the latest Kali Linux as a guest and while trying to install the Tools, I ran into a stubborn error message about missing kernel headers. I tried to install them manually:

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

and all I got is "unable to locate package..."
    I checked /etc/apt/sources.list and it all seems as prescribed by official documentation.
    I know linux is a whiney little b... so I wonder if anyone else encountered this kind of trouble and found a solution for it.

2. GjorgiV

GjorgiV Member

I think I got it. The catch is kernel headers for the specific kernel of the "latest" Kali offered at the official website are no longer available. But are available for newer versions of the kernel.
    What was needed to make Parallels Tools successfully install is to get the correct image and accompanying headers, after which everything else fell in place.
    First, upgrade to the latest Parallels Desktop version available.
    Then do apt-get dist-upgrade, it is kind of a lengthy process- reboot after done and apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r), install dkms or let Parallels Tools do it for you. Important sidenote: copy entire cdrom0 directory when you mount Parallels tools to root's home and from root's home execute ./install- if you do it from the Parallels Tools CD itself you'll be slapped with "insufficient permissions" message, although you are running it all as root.