Netboot without PXE - questions

Discussion in 'Parallels Mac Management for Microsoft SCCM' started by RobertM25, Jun 1, 2017.

1. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

So, I know it isn't supported currently, and hoping it's coming soon :) ... but I have been messing around with what is currently available.

So, here is my setup:
    - I installed WDS (Windows Deployment Services) on my DP and configured it to store files on J:
    - Navigated to registry HKLM\Software\SMS\DP and flipped IsPXE to 1
    - Installed Netboot and configured
    - Navigated to registry HKLM\Software\SMS\DP and flipped IsPXE to 0

So yay, I have netboot without PXE.

Next, I took the NetInstall.dmg and its related files and restored them to a USB stick. Now, I can boot from USB into the Parallels Task Sequence Wizard. yay!

The question - when I try to execute the task sequence, it fails to find content even though I am within the boundaries of the DP/Netboot server. If I boot the machine into the normal OS, I can install applications via Parallels. But, the TS will fail to find content on the Netboot server. Do I need IP helpers still even though I have booted from media into the TS environment and I am within the boundaries of the Netboot server/DP?

2. Evgeny Smirnov

Evgeny Smirnov Parallels Developers

Hello Robert!
    Several comments on what you done:
    - Running NetBoot without enabled PXE: Yes, it will work. We thinking to simplify installation process. DP role is still required.
    - USB stick: Also should work in most cases. Sometimes Mac cannot boot from usb stick created that way, depends on macOS version. Nevertheless, the IP Helper is needed to find image for the Apply OS Image step.

Anticipating the question, there is no ETA for these features for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  3. RobertM25

RobertM25 Member

I know there is no ETA yet, I was just wondering if the stick would work without the IP Helper. I found it does not. So I have my helpers enabled and its all working fine.

One other question though, and this has been happening for a while. When I network boot to the Task Sequence Login Wizard, about 50% of the time the Wizard is gray and unable to be typed in. I have to reboot and try again. LIke I said, about 50% of boots bring up a wizard I can type in, the other 50% it is unable to be edited.

I am running PMM 5.0.3.9.

4. Evgeny Smirnov

Evgeny Smirnov Parallels Developers

Robert, answered to you in another thread.