My Mac Book Pro overheats when I run Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by BillH6, Jan 23, 2017.

1. BillH6

BillH6 Bit poster

This has always been a problem but recently I had a failure of my track pad, that I think was caused by overheating. The symptom that I receive is the fan runing for extended periods of time. The trackpad stopped clicking rendering it inoperable.

Has anyone experienced this condition? As it stands now I cannot run Parallels due to this overheating issue. I am running MacOS Sierra 10.12.2.

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Dear @BillH6 ,
    Please try this solution and keep us posted.

3. BrunoN1

BrunoN1 Bit poster

Alright, I had the same problem as @BillH6 and I tried your solution, however it didn't help at all? Other suggestions?

4. BillH6

BillH6 Bit poster

An update...I tried the solution from Dinesh@Parallels but no change. I had been using my laptop at work where I had Parallels running all day. I now don't use my laptop at work so I am using the program much less frequently. I am able to use Parallels now because of my diminished use and the trackpad function has returned.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Guys,
    To confirm that resources are really occupied by Guest, open vm.log in the problem report and scroll from bottom to top and look for the following counters. This information goes to the vm.log when collecting problem report. Here it's obvious that VCPU time is eaten by Guest but Task Manager shows nothing.
    ==== VCPU 0 ====
    Host = ( 0%) 11263200
    Monitor = ( 0%) 6090462
    Host HLT = ( 0%) 0
    Monitor HLT = ( 0%) 0
    Native guest = (99%) 2645711054
    Accumulation counters:
    ==== VCPU 1 ====
    Host = ( 0%) 20040800
    Monitor = ( 0%) 8864739
    Host HLT = ( 0%) 720200
    Monitor HLT = ( 0%) 0